Our multi award winning Total War team are looking for an experienced multiplayer programmer to join the team working on leading interactive technology on Total War project.
This is an excellent opportunity to be a key part of the successful Total War franchise. As Multiplayer Programmer on the team, you will be able to drive the game’s networking and gameplay features and develop new multiplayer modes.
As a Multiplayer Programmer on the project, you will be responsible for the implementation of new online features of our Total War games. You will help design and craft future multiplayer features of Total War and the be a go-to person for multiplayer and online on the development team. You will maintain the smooth running of online features in current Total War games. You will also collaborate with other teams across the studio to identify opportunities for sharing knowledge and information.
You will be an experienced game developer with an understanding of networking aspects in a game. With a good understanding of PC hardware and tools, you will be able to measure performance bottlenecks, simulate a multitude of network conditions and propose solutions.
As a Multiplayer Programmer on Total War projects, you will be working with the team to shape and follow a roadmap for future development of the proven Total War game engine. Good communication will be essential to collaborate with the team members, and with fellow engineers on the other Total War teams to share solutions. Being a part of the team, you will need to be approachable and aware of dependencies across the project, being proactive with your approach. You will also occasionally assist in other programming areas of the project.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Excellent knowledge of C++
- Good understanding of the principles of multithreading and synchronisation
- Qualities looked for: self-motivating, self-teaching, good communicator, likes complex problems, takes responsibility
- Understanding of common networking protocols
- Understanding of network topologies commonly used in games
- Experience of developing matchmaking and game network traffic in a video game
- Having worked with POSIX-style sockets would be a strong advantage
- Excellent communication – both written and verbal
- Good understanding or experience of HTTP protocols an advantage
- Good understanding of the Steam services (or a major competitor) an advantage
- RTS game enthusiast or thorough appreciation of the Total War franchise
We are Creative Assembly
We gather the greatest talent out there, coming together to craft authentic and detailed experiences of the highest quality.
We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft.
Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.