Senior Front End Software Engineer
Every month Marktplaats handles over 8 million unique visitors and 350.000 new advertisements each day making Marktplaats the largest online trading platform in the Netherlands. Consumer and professional sellers offer a large and varied assortment of used and new products. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by building a world where people share more and waste less. But we want to go even further - we are constantly changing our platform to deliver the experience our customers love. We are a mix of Dutch and Silicon Valley cultures; like both, we are an international team of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us!
You will work on our high-availability infrastructure, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career in Marktplaats
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, informal, international and energetic work environment with multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Work with technologies such as Scala, Java, swift, Node.js, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, CockroachDB and more in a fast-evolving Microservices architecture
- Possibility to work on all stages of the software development lifecycle: from design to implementation to release and monitoring
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
- Work on one of the most beloved brands in the Netherlands
About the teams:
We seek to continuously improve our teams and product with a data-driven approach to measure the impact we are making. We have teams focusing on different domains of our platform, every one of them with their own dynamics and challenges.
What we expect from you:
The person we are looking for has extensive experience in software development in online or related areas, with at least 6+ years of full-time employment with knowledge of what it means to work with large and/or distributed systems. Furthermore, we need someone who lives and breathes Agile development, can focus on delivering, and wants to take a leading role in improving how we work.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to influence a multi-functional team to deliver results;
- Develop high quality, performant, maintainable and testable applications:
- React (with Hooks and server-side rendering),
- HTML5, CSS3 (SASS, CSS modules)
- Jest, Mocha, Chai & Sinon, Node.js, Express.js, npm, Webpack & Babel
- Find and help fix stability, scalability, performance issues, cross-browser compatibility, Web standards, and interoperability.
- Own major projects and features from design phase to coding, testing, delivery
- Have a proven grasp and experience with MVC and OO design.
- Proficient using source control systems (Git)
- Ability to come up with innovative solutions to problems, while also thoroughly considering edge cases and avoiding pitfalls
Your responsibilities will include:
- Be a key team member in development and design of new projects
- Mentor of junior and medior developers (guide them through architecture and procedures, be a mentor helping with skills development)
- Think with your colleagues about architecture decisions and help work them out
- Help to continuously improve development work in all areas (coding, processes, tools, testing, etc.)
- Be a technical sparring partner for the organisation to help the business build efficient and effective requirements
- Preferably you have degree in Computer Sciences or comparable topic.
What we offer:
- Meaningful work with diverse, international, highly skilled and passionate teams which give you the chance to make a difference in our customers’ lives.
- International career opportunities throughout eCG.
- Competitive compensation, conference & education budget. We value your personal and professional development.
- A healthy work-life balance, i.e. part-time work, an additional paid parental leave time, flexible working hours including working from home options.
- A great atmosphere, open-minded company culture with several social team activities (online and offline).
We love building opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, no matter who you are, you feel Markplaats is a place where you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about us click here: https://jobs.ebayclassifiedsgroup.com/marktplaats
People are the heart of the Markplaats and their health and well-being are our first priority.
We continue to monitor local government guidance and partner closely with medical advisors to determine the safest and best next steps for everyone. As a result, most teams are working remotely, with a few teams able to collaborate in person with enhanced safety procedures. We will discuss the particular case for your region during the interview process. As a general rule, interviews will be completed remotely over video calls.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected]. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.