For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Associate Director, R & D Information Systems - Data Science
- Lead a Data Science team of full-time and contract technical professionals to support Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing (PDM) science and operations.
- Work with senior management to establish a data model to organize chemistry, manufacturing and control information derived from pharmaceutical process, formulation and analytical development, quality control and commercial manufacturing operations. Work closely with business process owners, data stewards and IT to establish a data management process with the appropriate governance to sustain the accuracy and completeness of data. Apply data sciences techniques to build knowledge management, predictive analytics, and identifying trends in scientific and operational datasets.
- Work with senior management to develop a comprehensive data sciences strategy and framework that builds out a core PDM data sciences capability and knowledge management platform. Partner with Enterprise IT to establish a sustainable data governance process with defined and roles and responsibilities. Examples include identifying and capturing data sets needed to solve complex issues and questions, data cataloguing, storage, compute, processing, analysis, search, use of business intelligence tools and visualizations for reporting, dashboards, and self-service.
- Build and execute on an approach to mature the data sciences capability including assessments, process, value targeting and proposition, business case, technology solutions and proof of value. Use oral and written communication skills to summarize, present results, and influence direction.
- Manage and maintain existing analytics reporting platforms which include providing web and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) reporting; as well as data visualization tools such as Tableau and Spotfire. These operations provide a set of targeted value-added reports, dashboards, metrics, monitoring, and tools throughout the PDM community such as analytical operations, clinical supply chain management, chemical development, and pharmaceutical quality assurance
- Anticipate data needs from sources by iterating to find and fill gaps through collaboration with data providers and data consumers.
- Establish key performance indicators and metrics that measure the effectiveness, value and
success of delivered solutions. This includes quality of deliverables, quality of service,
effective of change management, measure of adoption and captured efficiencies
- Actively engage, partner with, and form alliances both internal and external between business, IT, and vendor stakeholders to cultivate a network of data partners and to identify pressing data analysis questions and develop data structures as well as visualizations tailored to PDM interests, business processes and needs.
- Create and align on data sciences methodology and technologies through frequent communications and change management.
- Be able to develop analytical methods to apply to business problems involving large quantities of data, choosing the right algorithms, appropriate optimization techniques, and models
- Develop security and access models so that data is controlled but meets a broad range of needs and provides agility and velocity. This include balancing autonomy with access controls, and segregation of environments.
- Support building a data-driven culture and data-driven organization, conducive to data-driven decision making, quantitative analysis, identifying appropriate talent, and creating an environment conducive to effective data sciences and allowing for data-driven experiments
- Stay current with modern and emerging big data, cloud, analytics, and visualization technologies as well as practical approaches to utilize such tools. Examples include big data in the cloud, data streaming and real-time analytics, automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, interactive visualization, and batch processing techniques
- Responsible for implementation, development and management of business information systems against strategy and to meet business objectives.
- Acts as a consultant to the Business in his/her area. Liaises with Global IT. Assigns objectives for team.
- Liaises with IT to schedule changes and updates for Business Systems.
- Manages specific projects under direction from Senior Management.
- Works as a project lead.
- Contributes to the development of systems strategy.
- Acts as technical spokesperson to the business on area of expertise.
- May contributes to setting and achieving budget. Manages the team to ensure they meet the full requirements of their role.
- Conducts professional appraisals for team members and effectively manages performance.
- Provides guidance to subordinates based on organizational goals and company policy. Work is reviewed in terms of meeting the organization’s objectives and schedules
- Establishes operating policies and procedures that affect subordinate organizational units.
Interprets, executes, and recommends modifications to organizational policies.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience OR and Master’s Degree with a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience OR a PhD with a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Degree focused in Science, Computer Science or equivalent experience preferred.
- Possess strong abilities to manage, develop and improve people, processes, operations and technology. Drive for excellence, develop team and manage for success. Provide solutions to highly complex problems and apply a high degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovation.
- Extensive data modeling and data architecture skills
- Strong programming experience in Python and R.
- Lower level programming experience in languages like C#, C++ or Java
- Background in machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and Keras
- Knowledge of how to analyze and manage large data sets as well as strategies for visualizing and communicating results to solve business needs
- Familiarity with cGMP, computer validation concepts and pharmaceutical regulatory compliance, including data integrity, quality analytics, 21 CFR Part 11, EU Annex 11, and familiarity with as 21 CFR parts 58, 210, 211.
If this is not the right move for you now but remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.avature.net/Gilead
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.