For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
We have the following exciting opportunity for an Associate General Counsel in our Foster City, CA location:
This position reports to a Senior Associate General Counsel and will be responsible for managing Gilead’s intellectual property litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries. Specific responsibilities will include: assisting with the global enforcement and defense of Gilead’s patent portfolio; defending patent infringement allegations from competitors and other patent holders; [litigating/defending?] licensing disputes; providing support to our patent product attorneys in global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings; and coordinating external communications concerning intellectual property litigation with Public Affairs, Investor Relations and Government Affairs. The position will be called upon to assist the department in managing work load by undertaking additional activities as needed to support the IP interests of the company, particularly in connection with acquisition due diligence and complex litigation matters. The position will also support activities designed to improve departmental processes and procedures.
- Actively managing and supporting internal and external litigation teams. This includes
supervising day-to-day tasks associated with case management, coordinating and participating in
interviews of fact and expert witnesses, collaborating with outside counsel to prepare witnesses
for depositions and trial, attending fact and expert depositions, collaborating with internal and
outside counsel to select experts and to prepare expert testimony, and preparing for/attending
- Overseeing internal document collection and production, including working with our paralegals and the internal e-discovery team.
- Reviewing correspondence, arguments, memos, and briefs in support of litigation.
- Supervising and training more junior members of the IP litigation group.
- Collaborating with team members outside the US to run foreign litigations and the day-to-day tasks associated with multijurisdictional litigation teams.
- Developing strategies and arguments related to global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings.
- Negotiating litigation-related agreements.
- Collaborating with Gilead’s business partners.
- Assisting in preparing comprehensive patent portfolio summary documents and conducting patent portfolio reviews in anticipation of generic litigation.
- Contributing to or conducting analysis of freedom-to-operate, validity, exclusivity, and due diligence; and advising internal clients on those positions in consultation with outside counsel.
- Providing input on how to improve our client services in an ever-changing and challenging legal and political environment, including responses to government and agency investigations that implicate our IP.
- Gain and ensure alignment with senior management and relevant functions on specific matters and projects.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- The candidate must demonstrate Gilead’s core values: Teamwork, Accountability, Inclusion, Excellence and Integrity.
- This position requires extensive teamwork. The ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is absolutely critical. You must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with a variety of different personalities to be successful in this role.
- The position requires 12+ years of relevant litigation experience with a Bachelor’s degree or higher in biology, chemistry, pharmacy, immunology or other related life-sciences discipline. The candidate’s experience should reflect a primary focus on patent litigation regarding pharmaceuticals, biotechnology or other life-sciences field.
- Preference will be given to individuals having at least 5 years of experience in pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology patent litigation.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience preferred.
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school and admission to at least one U.S. State Bar is required. Registration to practice before the USPTO is preferred.
- The candidate will be expected to:
- Establish appropriate priorities with clients and deliver results within established timelines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Exercise good judgment in identifying, evaluating, prioritizing and elevating issues as appropriate.
- Demonstrate the ability to independently identify issues, goals, needs and solutions, with input and oversight from more senior members of the Legal team.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely communicate key points and to present to a variety of internal clients.
- Apply legal analysis in a business context with the goal of identifying solutions to clients’ needs.
- The candidate must be proficient in MS Office-based applications.
- Travel Requirements: Domestic and occasional international travel associated with litigation-related activities will be required, typically not exceeding about 15% annually.
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.