For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
The Director of Project Management is a position that has been created within Gilead’s Finance Operations unit to provide project and change management leadership to a variety of business project efforts that are within the portfolio of projects and programs within the CFO organization.
BACKGROUND: The Finance, IT and Corporate Operations groups (hereby referred to as CFO organization) has created a new Program Management Office, that will serve as a center of excellence for cross functional project management within the organization. This Corporate Program Management office reports into the SVP of Corporate Operations. As part of this newly formed center of excellence, a series of new positions are being created to (1) develop a set of common standards and processes that can be applied across all decentralized PM organizations within the organization (2) develop a standard set of visual analytics, SLA’s (service level agreements) and KPI’s (key performance indicators) that are common to all local business project groups, and serve to drive a common view on project health across the entire org (3) develop a portfolio level view of all projects and programs within the CFO organization and establish the appropriate level of governance, (4) form a critical mass of business project managers that can be deployed towards high complexity, multi-functional, business-focused projects that serve to improve the overall efficiency of the CFO org, as well as achieve our imperatives, and (5) Create operational excellence program within the enterprise, by partnering with business functions and applying and promoting Gilead’s business process improvement framework. In addition to these five new capabilities, it is anticipated that the Corporate PMO will also develop consistent and formal change management practices that creates change management methodology and processes that can be applied to all CFO org projects to ensure project objectives were met successfully as they relate to user adoption and engagement
This position is part of the Corp Project management arm - it will be responsible for a variety of different business projects that span Finance, IT and Operations groups. While it is anticipated these projects will need technical know-how of the business, the primary remit will be to ensure that the projects this position is responsible for is executed in a timely manner, within the budgets allocated, following classic and agile project management methodologies. A significant responsibility of this position will involve ensuring that other arms within the Program Management office (specifically use of standards, systems and common analytics) are adequately prioritized and executed to ensure impact and effectiveness of the proposed projects.
This position will report into the Executive Director of the PMO function. While there will be no direct reports, this position will manage cross-functional, matrixed group of professionals within in the CFO organization that will be assigned as SME’s, stakeholders, customers on specific projects. As such, good matrix management skills and ability to drive diverse teams towards a common purpose and goal is an important requirement of this position. This position will also have budget responsibility and be responsible for developing business cases, business plans, and operational and financial metrics associated with the various projects within the program.
While there is a significant operational component to this role, given that this is a center-of-excellence group position, this position is also a key thought leader within the PMO function that will be expected to influence stakeholders (internal and external) as the PMO Center of excellence continues to develop. As such, this position will also be responsible for setting up parts of the PMO COE as it relates to efforts like aligning terminology, standardizing life cycle methodologies, creating standard processes etc. It is also anticipated this position will chair a senior level steering committees that provides the appropriate level of governance for projects that this position will be responsible for. This position will also course-correct strategies at key points to ensure relevancy and impact.
The ideal candidate should have strong experience leading diverse teams and be well versed in project and program management techniques and methodologies. In addition, we are looking for someone that has a passion for leading matrixed teams and driving complex cross functional projects. This position will liaise extensively with key stakeholders across the CFO organization (FP&A, Treasury, Tax, Operations, Engineering, IT, Internal Audit) – as such, having strong communication skills, stakeholder influencing abilities, strategic thinking, business and financial acumen are key.
key responsibilities FOR POSITION:
- Manage a series of critical business focused projects within the CFO organization. As part of the Corporate PMO center of excellence, develop integrated and detailed plans for executing projects leveraging corporate standards, processes and methodologies.
- Responsible for organizing the various projects in terms of scopes of work, schedules, business plans and cost estimates. Ensures achievement of all project milestones through rigorous schedule management. Creates appropriate contingency management and risk plans to ensure achievement of program milestones.
- Leads the execution of the projects, initiative’s and policy change in a disciplined manner ensuring program objectives with respect to budget, schedule and impact/quality are met or exceeded.
- Develop and implement standardized project management process within the program that is applied across all the work streams.
- Ensures and manages effective business governance process on the effort to support day-to-day performance of the effort. Chairs appropriate senior level steering committee that ensures appropriate level of governance on the effort.
- Creates and publishes routine dashboards and reports that effectively communicate progress, risk and achievements of the overall project.
- Ensures all executed projects adhere to the define project management process and meet the requirement standards for planning and execution.
- Oversees the process for realization and capture of benefits of projects that are under purview.
- Facilitates cross-site, cross-functional interactions and provide support to ensure positive conflict and issue resolution at the program team level.
- Manages and coordinates lessons learned efforts on individual projects- ensures lessons learned are communicated across project managers, and the PMO COE to ensure a culture of continuous learning.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- BA or BS degree in a technical or business discipline with minimum 12 years of relevant experience; Past experience on Project/Program/Portfolio management preferred.
- Past experience in biotech/pharmaceutical company preferred, due to nature of change initiatives requiring an understanding of regulations and guidance’s.
- High degree of customer focus and collaboration in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to manage through influence.
- Good business skills including budget management experience.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills including project management.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage various priorities and timelines and to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrates leadership in managing for high performance, attracting talent and communicating effectively to influence with impact.
- Influence – the ability to collaborate with colleagues and ensure they understand the vision, mission and execution to support the business objective.
- Strong teamwork and facilitation – effective at being a member of teams. Listens actively and responds constructively to needs and views of others.
- Delivery – gets the job done. exhibits a sense of urgency on critical time-dependent issues
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and is persistent to achieve the business objective
- Ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders at all levels effectively, including executives with differing priorities
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.