For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Senior Sales Manager Inflammation (Rheumatology)
Gilead are a research-based biopharmaceutical company based in California and committed to discover, develop and commercialise innovative therapeutics in the areas of unmet medical needs. This will improve patient care in the areas that matter the most. Inflammation is one of our 4 therapy areas of focus, and we are advancing a pipeline of novel investigational agents for inflammatory diseases. Over time these will address multiple targets with potential application across a broad range of disorders. Our most advanced agent is a highly selective JAK1 inhibitor. This innovative molecule has now reported 3 Phase III studies that have successfully met their primary and secondary endpoints in Rheumatoid Arthritis, and thus support regulatory application in the EMA region in the near future.
Due to the anticipated regulatory authorisation of our JAK1 inhibitor in 2020, we are expanding our Team.
In this position you will be managing a group of Therapeutic Specialists and you will be reporting to the Business Unit Director Inflammation.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Manages the team for an assigned geographic area to ensure they meet the full requirements of their role.
- Exhibits a coaching leadership style, facilitating an experienced team of Therapeutic Specialists.
- Establishes and meets future developmental needs of the sales team.
- Works with team to create learning plans and recommends training and development solutions and provides mentoring and coaching as appropriate.
- Understands and provides guidance on relevant human resource management issues (e.g. performance management, salary and compensation planning, incentives and reward, recruiting and hiring procedures, disability provisions etc.).
- Clearly defines roles, responsibilities and measurable outcomes for all activities of team.
- Identifies those capable of advancing to more responsible positions and takes appropriate action to support this.
- Accountable for the selling efforts in an assigned geographic area.
- Maximises sales and minimizes expenses in assigned area.
- Responsible for achieving all geographic product revenues and expense targets.
- Develops and initiates strategies that create new business and build key accounts.
- Provides recommendations on customer strategies, coordinates the development of territory business plans.
- Coordinates market sales analysis data interpretation for region as a whole.
- Coordinates business planning with input and liaison with other relevant managers and functional departments, as appropriate.
- Directs planning and promotional activities within area of geographic or therapeutic responsibility. Plans forecasts, manages operating budgets and monitors expenses.
- Has profit and loss responsibility.
- Analyses complex problems and situations and provides logical recommendations and leads any required action planning.
- Sets priorities in circumstances of continued complex and conflicting requirements.
- Establishes superior working relationships with key opinion leaders locally and nationally, which can influence prescribing policy/protocol position.
- Ensures monitoring systems are in place and being managed effectively in order to evaluate sales force effectiveness e.g. Company CRM databases.
- Utilises high level of business acumen in analysing and coordinating activities from identified industry trends, competitor’s resources and practices.
- Takes a lead role in representing company at professional events and promotes company products at such events.
- Works with other internal functional departments, in some circumstances this may include international functional departments.
- Organises sales initiatives within the market and follows up to ensure their successful completion
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Previous pharmaceutical hospital selling experience and relevant therapeutic knowledge is essential. Must have excellent sales knowledge.
- Must have excellent management skills including training, coaching, performance management, planning, prioritization, objective setting, recruitment and selection, meeting management and plan execution.
- Prior experience in a highly competitive therapy area is required as well as previous Therapeutic indication with high scientific emphasis.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to a changing environment, understanding new business challenges and how digital solutions can help overcome them.
- Must have a fluent local language and a strong command of conversational and written English skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and negotiation skills are required in order to provide clear and concise analysis of quantitative and qualitative concepts.
- Is very familiar with industry trends and remains current with competitor’s resources and practices.
- Must be able to analyse complex data and put together effective concise reports while meeting all deadlines.
- Has ability to strategically plan in order to add most value by focusing team efforts effectively.
- Has the ability to maintain / develop and utilise a high level of product and therapeutic disease knowledge to promote the appropriate use of Gilead products to Key Opinion Leaders.
- Must have excellent analytical skills and be able to identify and understand complex issues and problems, and interpret information in a manner that provides appropriate recommendations to senior management and Therapeutic Specialists.
- Proven experience in account planning and cross functional account management approach.
- Achievement of any mandatory pharmaceutical sales qualification, in relevant country, is essential.
- Must be able to travel extensively as dictated by business needs.
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Typically requires a BA or BS degree, preferably in the sciences or business related disciplines and solid traceable experience in pharmaceutical or relevant industry, relevant therapeutic experience.
- Previous experience with product launches in highly competitive market is desired.
- Very strong strategically and driving this operationally.
- Experience in selling products in the inflammation area (rheumatoid arthritis/IBD) is very important.
- Experience in innovative products launches will be considered a plus.
- Extensive leadership experience in managing sales teams is a plus
- Marketing experience and/or International experience will be considered a strong plus
- Resilient profile with the ability to deliver in an ambiguous environment
- Ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective
- Curious with learning agility
- Operationally excellent
- Organised with systematic approach to prioritisation
- Process orientated to achieve the business objective
Gilead Commercial competencies
- Initiative into Action
- Strategic approach
- Communications Impact and influence
- Customer relationship building
- Customer and market insights
- Business analytics
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right),
- Teamwork (Working Together),
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.