Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
The Gilead R&D Project & Portfolio Management function has an opportunity available for an Associate Director, Project Management to manage one or more highly complex and/or high-profile project and/or cross project therapeutic teams in one of our core Therapeutic Areas: oncology, virology, or inflammation.
- Works in partnership with project leaders to develop, gain approval, and execute on the project strategy.
- Co-chairs timely, efficient, and action-oriented project team meetings and is responsible for coordinating team operations and communications.
- Directs highly complex project communications and ensures that all project customers are fully informed and knowledgeable of project activities and their status.
- Organizes preparation of high-quality documents for review by governance committees in collaboration with the project team and represents the Development Project Team at Governance meetings, when needed.
- Organizes Project Management support for various functional areas on the Project; attends sub-team meetings; organizes ad hoc working groups.
- Organizes the formation of Project Teams and Request for Development (RFD) Teams with leadership of the functional areas, and guides transition of projects between development phases.
- Co-leads the design, implementation, and update of life cycle development plans, which articulate the vision & strategy for asset maximization and Development Plans which define the scope of project team deliverables, ensuring Development Plans integrate TA/ disease area and molecule vision & strategy, with timing, scope and resources.
- Provides leadership to the team and functional areas to anticipate and identify complex project issues which pose a challenge to achieving strategic goals; proposes and implements plans to resolve such issues and execute corrective actions.
- Provides updated project documents and information for quarterly budget reviews, quarterly investor relations/Board updates and annual Portfolio Review.
- Contributes to the research, development and commercial project strategies.
- May represent Project Management on Franchise Teams and attend senior management committees as requested.
- Enable high-performing teams by ensuring there are good team dynamics within the project team.
- May be responsible for developing and implementing continuous improvement and optimization initiatives across the department.
- Ensures project work complies with established practices, policies and processes.
- Extensive knowledge of the drug development process and deep understanding of and application of principles, concepts, practices, and standards of pharmaceutical project management.
- Expertise in developing and managing project scope, deliverables, risks and resource requirements.
- Strong leadership presence with the ability to translate strategy into action.
- Excellent analytical skills with an ability to summarize and present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills with the ability to effectively interact with all levels within the company.
- Must be able to understand and communicate scientific and business elements associated with the therapeutic area(s) of assigned projects.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of team dynamics.
- Ability to lead without authority, influence and motivate teams.
- Ability to help teams anticipate, plan, and adapt to an evolving environment.
- Ability to take accountability and empower individuals and teams to make effective decisions which are aligned with the company’s vision, values and goals.
- Ability to create an inclusive environment and lead empowered teams who operate with high standards of alignment, trust, accountability, expertise, transparency, and collaboration.
- Advanced knowledge and skill with Microsoft Project, Microsoft Excel and other reporting and tracking tools.
- Must be able to work under minimal and at times no supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 10 years of relevant project management/scientific experience within the pharmaceutical industry; OR a MS or MBA and minimal 8 years of relevant experience; OR a PhD in a scientific field or a PharmD, DVM or MD degree with 4+ years of relevant experience. A scientific background is preferred. Experience must include 5+ years of leading cross-functional project management activities within the pharmaceutical industry, building, managing and articulating comprehensive, complex, cross-functional plans. Familiarity with Oncology drug development is desirable.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) or other PM certification or equivalent a plus.
- Line management supervisory experience is desirable.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.