Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
As an Associate Scientist, you will join a cross-functional research team whose goal is to discover curative medicines for life-threatening diseases. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about discovering drugs, the Medicinal Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every chemist to take part in the act of invention. Associate Scientists collaborate with an experienced scientific mentor to design and efficiently synthesize molecular targets for evaluation as potential drug candidates. In addition to developing custom syntheses, you will be responsible for generating molecular designs by interpreting and integrating biological data. Interactions with colleagues in biology and other disciplines offer new avenues for development and are facilitated through team meetings where all levels of the department join discussions and contribute ideas. Gilead’s core values of integrity, inclusion, teamwork, excellence, and accountability shape our culture and are the foundation of our future success. Challenge yourself and make a difference in the world – Being Here Matters.
Responsibilities and Skills:
- Independently plan and execute multi-step synthetic sequences toward key target molecules, using appropriate purification and compound characterization techniques
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity and laboratory safety
- Use contemporary analytical tools to analyze data from other functional areas including biology and drug metabolism to generate hypotheses and design new targets to test these hypotheses
- Critically evaluate project issues; resolve synthetic and chemical biology challenges
- Apply independent thinking to recommend alternatives, research new methods and techniques and proactively seek out others to discuss potential solutions to problems
- Analyze and accurately record data using Electronic Laboratory Notebooks
- Act as a resource for other research personnel within the department
- Mentoring less experienced scientists, managing interns and fostering their development
- Participate in and present results at team meetings and the department level
- Demonstrate good verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- BS with 9+ years of experience or MS degree in Organic Chemistry with 8+ years of relevant industrial experience in a Medicinal Chemistry setting.
- Experience planning and executing multi-step synthetic sequences on small and large scale
- Familiarity with modern chromatographic and analytical techniques, including flash chromatography, HPLC, LCMS and NMR
- Familiarity with ChemDraw and literature searching software (SciFinder or Reaxys)
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.