Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
Director, Commercial Operations
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. We strive to transform and simplify care for people with life-threatening illnesses around the world. Gilead's portfolio of products and pipeline of investigational drugs includes treatments for HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer, inflammatory and respiratory diseases.
Reporting to the Director of Global Commercial Operations (GCO) - Head of Latin America Commercial Operations for the Intercontinental Region, and based in Sao Paulo, you would lead the Commercial Operations support team for the Brazilian affiliate. Areas of support will include Analytics & Insights, Commercial Learning & Development, Sales Analytics & Operations, Trade Operations, Events Management and Digital & Innovation.
In this role, you would be responsible for leading all aspects of Commercial Operations in Brazil, and serve as Commercial Operations partner for the General Manager (a member of the Brazil Leadership Team). In addition, you would work closely with Business Unit leads and cross-functional partners, to ensure services are rendered appropriately, and the quality of commercial operations deliverables is consistently high. You would also partner with the Intercontinental Commercial Operations (ICO) Center of Excellence (COE) leads, to ensure critical Commercial Operations capabilities are leveraged to support Brazil. COE leads include those from Analytics & Insights, Sales Operations & Training, Trade Operations, and Digital & Innovation.
We are seeking a dynamic, experienced leader, with a strong track record of experience in the pharmaceutical (or biopharmaceutical) industry. Moreover, this role requires a proven ability to effectively manage a team, complex projects, influence stakeholders without authority, network across a global organization, and effectively communicate with leaders (all within a fast moving, challenging and dynamic commercial environment).
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Building strong working relationships with the General Manager and Business Unit leads for
Brazil, cross-functional leaders (including Medical Affairs, Finance, Regulatory, BC/Legal,
etc.), all other leaders within Intercontinental Commercial Operations, and with external
- Representing the needs of Brazil and maximizing the support and value-add for each functional area
- Optimally leveraging their engagement and influence in critical market scenarios to drive performance
- Promoting and sharing best practices, and collaborating on shared business issues / projects
- Leading and mentoring the local Brazil Commercial Operations team including multiple direct reports
- Leading the development of commercial best practices with other Intercontinental sub-regions:
- Advancing best practice sharing and developing a body of customer and market knowledge / expertise within Brazil
- Identifying country trends / innovative solutions applied in market, and evaluating opportunities arising for other markets
- Supporting the development of robust Commercial plans for Brazil including:
- Developing the 1, 3, and 10-year plans aligned with the corporate planning cycles designed to achieve / exceed targets
- Working closely with FP&A partners to drive and support the quarterly business review
- Monitoring the performance of market against plan and understanding the dynamics in-country
- Gaining insight and identifying the key issues requiring discussion
- Evaluating the rationale for latest estimates and forecasts and offering suggestions for improvement
- Ensuring that Brazil Commercial Operations strategic plans, goals and objectives are documented, communicated, reviewed and evaluated on a continuous basis
- Proactively engaging with commercial groups to resolve issues, conflicts and interdependencies
- Developing relevant strategic frameworks, templates, and solutions to meet the evolving needs of the Commercial Operations capabilities
- Leading the Brazil Commercial Operations team by example, respecting Gilead core values of integrity, accountability, teamwork, excellence, and inclusion
- Ensuring market stakeholders are engaged throughout Commercial Operations work processes, continuously incorporating feedback to ensure relevance and inclusion
Skills and experience:
- B.A./B.S. required (M.S./Ph.D. in Life Sciences, M.D or M.B.A. or equivalent preferred)
- 12+ years in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry including expertise in commercial operations, commercial strategy or planning, marketing and/or medical affairs, with increasing responsibilities and accountabilities, including management experience
- Fluency in both English and Portuguese is required (spoken, reading, and writing)
- Commercial roles in Brazilian market
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver compelling presentations to large audiences
- Strong leadership and self-direction, comfort and experience tackling ambiguous and complex problems. Must be able to lead and influence without authority
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, focus, negotiate, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing, experience presenting before members of the executive staff
- Proven ability to lead collaboratively, solving problems creatively, to overcome barriers or resistance
- Demonstrated excellence in program management, project management, change management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.