Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Director, Tech Services in the Biologics Technical Operations (BTO) group will have sole accountability for Upstream and Downstream BTO. In this role you will be responsible for both upstream and downstream tech transfers and manufacturing support activities for all internal and external drug substance manufacturing sites and drive business process improvements related to tech transfer, operational support and technical oversight of manufacturing.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Leads the Upstream and Downstream Biologics Technical Operations (BTO) group that is responsible for both Upstream and Downstream technology transfer and manufacturing support activities for all internal and external manufacturing sites
- Defines strategies for consistent and phase-appropriate oversight of Drug Substance (DS) process transfer and manufacturing
- Drives business process improvements related to tech transfer, operational support and technical oversight of manufacturing
- Directs activities of the technical operations group including defining, planning and implementing projects related to scale-up, technology transfer, facility fit and/or process validation between sites
- Directs the development of technical projects and initiatives, determines metrics for success and evaluates performance against metrics
- Partners with Gilead’s Biologics Quality, Process Development and Outsourced Manufacturing groups to ensure project timelines, deliverables, and business operations are aligned and met
- Focuses on strategic planning and execution while managing within the budget
- Supports regulatory inspections and authoring of relevant sections of IND, BLA and MAA filings
- Ensures compliance to safety, business policies, laws and regulations applicable to the operations
- Routine travel may be required in support of technology transfers and manufacturing oversight of CMOs
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and a BS or BA.
- 8+ years of relevant experience and an advanced science degree such as MS, MD, PharmD, PhD or an advanced business degree such as an MBA.
- In-depth knowledge of manufacturing principles and concepts and industry best practices and trends
- Significant experience with upstream and downstream bioprocessing equipment and operations from thaw through harvest through protein purification and drug substance fill
- Strong knowledge of cGMP requirements for clinical and commercial manufacturing
- Broad experience across areas such as manufacturing and development
- Proven experience in the generation of relevant regulatory sections of IND, BLA and MAA filings, data capture and management, process monitoring and trending, including control charting and statistical process control, and supporting regulatory and site inspections
- Demonstrated success as a people manager
- Vaccine and ADC process and regulatory experience is desired
- Prior experience in MSAT, PD and Manufacturing is preferred
If this is not the right move for you now but remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.avature.net/Gilead
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.