Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
Principal Scientist, Cell Line Development
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives.
Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead has an opportunity for a highly motivated cell line development scientist in our Biologics Development group at our Oceanside facility in Southern California. We are seeking a scientist with significant cell line development experience, in particular with expertise in vector design and construction for generating recombinant mammalian cell lines producing monoclonal antibodies and other recombinant proteins in various formats for therapeutic use. This lead scientist will drive the development of strategies to construct and evaluate plasmid expression vectors utilizing available technologies, including transcription and translation enhancing methodologies and selection mechanisms. The candidate will also lead to construct vectors to develop cell lines for Gilead’s biologics pipeline molecules by working in a collaborative, high-performing, fast-paced environment.
• Drive improvements in molecular biology strategies including vector design, construction, and characterization for increased speed and efficiency in order to generate highly productive, high quality, robust cell lines that meet all regulatory requirements. Conduct cell line development for monoclonal antibodies and other recombinant proteins by designing, constructing, and evaluating expression vectors.
• Manage and develop careers of direct reports.
Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrated excellence in cell line development is required, including:
- Experience in mammalian gene expression systems and productivity enhancing technologies
- Experience designing, constructing, and evaluating vectors to express recombinant proteins of various formats
- Experience in developing cell lines for therapeutic recombinant proteins using CHO cells
- Experience with media development and media additive studies is a plus
- Experience with automation and high-throughput technologies as applied to mammalian cell line generation and process optimization is a plus
- Experience with genetic characterization of recombinant cell lines including sequence confirmation
• Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and adhere to timelines
• Ability to think critically, and demonstrated troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills are required
• Flexibility and a willingness to expand skill set and responsibilities is a must
• Experience with the preparation of regulatory submissions is required
• 12+ years of industry experience with a PhD degree in molecular biology or related discipline is required. Candidates with BS or MS degree may be considered with extensive industry experience.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.