Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.Job Description
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. We have worked tirelessly to bring forward medicines for life-threatening diseases in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases. The way we see it, the impossible is not impossible. It’s simply what hasn’t been achieved yet. This is how we built a culture of excellence that is fueled by a passion for improving lives of people around the world. We are growing a diverse team of professionals and we need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier.
As a Research Associate, you will join a cross-functional research team whose goal is to discover curative medicines for life-threatening diseases. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about discovering drugs, the Medicinal Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every chemist to take part in the act of invention. In a 1:1 reporting structure, Research Associates collaborate with their scientific mentor to design and efficiently synthesize molecular targets for evaluation as potential drug candidates. In addition to developing custom syntheses, you will be responsible for generating molecular designs by interpreting and integrating biological data. Interactions with colleagues in biology and other disciplines offer new avenues for development and are facilitated through team meetings where all levels of the department join discussions and contribute ideas.
Responsibilities and Skills:
- With guidance from your supervisor, conduct multi-step synthetic sequences toward key target molecules, using appropriate purification and compound characterization techniques
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity and laboratory safety
- Apply independent thinking to resolve synthetic and chemical biology challenges
- Plan and select appropriate methods and techniques for performing experiments
- Analyze and accurately record data using Electronic Laboratory Notebooks
- Participate in and present results at team meetings
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- BS or MS degree in Organic Chemistry including synthetic chemistry research experience
- Experience with multi-step synthetic organic chemistry
- Familiarity with modern chromatographic and analytical techniques, including flash chromatography, HPLC, LCMS and NMR
- Familiarity with ChemDraw and literature searching software (SciFinder or Reaxys)
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.