Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted
virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and
months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure
the health and safety of our teams.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
This is a country general counsel lead and head of compliance role for Korea and will report into the Senior Director, Asia 5 Regional Legal and Compliance Head. This role plays an integral part leading legal and compliance business partnering and contributing to success of the local and regional business.
The role will be based in Seoul, Korea and will be a member of the Korea Leadership Team.
The individual will lead the local legal and compliance team and be responsible for legal and compliance implementation and business partnering in Korea, working closing with other affiliates within the region and global expert teams.
The individual will support the local leadership team and all local functions, including Commercial Planning and Operations, Medical, Finance, Regulatory, Public Affairs, and Government Affairs, to ensuring local law compliance, operational excellence and a commitment to high standards of integrity and ethics.
- Implementing local legal and compliance priorities, risk management and infrastructure to deliver effective legal and compliance programs and risk management for in-scope countries;
- Effective proactive and risk-based business partnering on local laws and compliance topics and work with the expert legal and compliance colleagues within Asia or in other parts of the world as required for local implementation, including Intellectual Property, Litigation and Investigations, Compliance, Global Product Lawyers, Privacy & Information Security, and Legal Centre of Excellence;
- Support country affiliate leadership team to ensure compliance with applicable laws and internal policies for the in-scope countries, including anti-bribery those focused on healthcare fraud/financial interactions with healthcare professionals, government officials and other relevant stakeholders; competition and anti-trust laws, market access, regulatory, promotion and non-promotional activities, disclosure of healthcare spend (if applicable), privacy laws, labour laws and anti-bribery laws etc.;
- Assist local teams in the leadership of quarterly compliance meetings, compliance communications and fostering “tone from the top”;
- Drafting, review and negotiating of various types of agreements, legal and corporate documents as well as non-contractual documents, such as local strategic business plans and other plans of action;
- Develop and update contract and privacy consent templates to be used locally, including templates that can be utilized on a self-service basis by the business with appropriate monitoring;
- Obtain information on the latest trends and developments of pharmaceutical laws and regulations, and provide legal advice and training to employees;
- Create and deliver training on local legal and compliance topics, e.g., trainings on pharmaceutical law, anti-bribery and corruption, privacy, market access, business conduct, compliance codes, competition & antitrust law and dawn raids etc.;
- Conduct periodic business conduct risk assessments and to share best practices and learnings within Asia or with global expert teams as required;
- Ensuring country compliance policies and procedures are up to date and support efficient operation of compliant business activities;
- Respond to government inquiries or investigations;
- Assume the role of chief privacy officer of the Korea affiliate;
- Design and implement legal and compliance training and other guidance materials for employees and business partners in the region;
- Ensure effective oversight of due diligence of local third parties;
- Support local efforts to investigate and remedy potential compliance violations and to implement any local learnings;
- Support the local compliance monitoring activities in accordance with global procedures and protocols, including monitoring of interactions with healthcare professionals and institutions, as well as promotional and non-promotional materials and ensuring corrective actions are implemented;
- Implement country completion of corrective actions arising out of local audits internally and for local vendors or business partners, distributors; and
- Retain and supervise outside counsel, including effectively manage legal expenses/budget.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Demonstrate and role model the Company’s core values of Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Accountability, and Inclusion;
- Occasional travel Gilead affiliates within Asia as well as travel to the corporate headquarters in California;
- Proactive business partner who works effectively and supports risk-based solutions together with local leadership team and client teams and other Legal and Compliance colleagues throughout the region, across other geographies, and at headquarters; and
- Effectively manage, oversee and develop a small high-performing legal and compliance team;
- Effectively and practically deliver local legal and business advice and solutions that mitigates risk;
- Set appropriate priorities with client teams and delivers results within the established timelines;
- Develop solutions to solve complex local problems, including successful navigation of challenges that may arise as multiple departments and individuals with different skill sets and interests become involved; and
- Contribute to multidisciplinary and/or International projects, lead legal oriented projects, and take responsibility for legal and compliance aspects of projects.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- LLB or JD degree from an internationally recognized university, LLM is preferred;
- Admission to local bar or registration as foreign lawyer;
- 10-12+ years relevant law firm or in-house experience, within medical device, biotech or pharmaceutical issues or relevant industry working experience is required;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills - English and Korean fluency required;
- A well-rounded, team player who can easily handle shifting priorities in a deadline-oriented environment and who can work also independently as required;
- Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectation/priorities with clients and advise the business based on sound judgment and within the compliance framework, within agreed timelines;
- Demonstrate ability to take necessary actions proactively, think creatively and devise solutions to challenging and complex legal/compliance issues;
- Exercise mature and reliable judgment while enjoying the company’s enthusiastic, informal and fast-paced environment;
- Detail-oriented and well-organized, and possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proven track record and ability to effectively lead local activities and experience in managing a small team;
- Motivated self-starter, strong team-player and able to collaborate both locally and across the broader business and Legal / Business Conduct function(s);
- Must have an excellent understanding of local codes of conduct and pharmaceutical legal and compliance issues;
- Must have excellent analytical, problem solving, written and verbal communication skills;
- Must demonstrate client business partnering orientation and ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent, complex situations and demanding client business partners;
- Must be able to work cross-functionally and cross- culturally and the ability to foster and maintain relationships through all levels of the organisation; and
- Must be comfortable undertaking both strategic and operational legal and compliance responsibilities within country.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.