For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Position Title: Senior Director, Therapeutic Lead HIV, Government Affairs & Policy
Position Reports to: Vice President, Government Affairs & Policy
Location: Foster City, CA
The Therapeutic Lead HIV will lead the development and execution of comprehensive government affairs strategies that shape public policy, legislative and regulatory environments for priority Gilead brands in the HIV therapeutic area. While the primary focus of the work will be the United States market, this person will also provide strategic direction, policy development and materials to Government Affairs and Policy colleagues outside the United States to facilitate strategy development and enable their engagement with stakeholders and execution of strategies.
Core Job Responsibilities
As the principal Government Affairs and Policy (GA&P) point of contact and partner for HIV brand planning, strategy development and capacity-building globally across a product’s life cycle, the Senior Director HIV Lead will:
- Manage product and therapeutic area issues and provides strategic counsel to management to ensure effective alignment with corporate policy positions. This person will lead GA&P development of comprehensive government affairs strategies that shape the public policy environment for existing and pipeline HIV therapeutic area, with particular focus on policies affecting patient access.
- Ensures that all parts of the GA&P organization are informed of brand and business priorities in HIV therapeutic area and are aligned on GA&P strategies to support those priorities.
- Anticipate trends in external environment that will impact the therapeutic area and develops plans to address areas of concern. Major areas of brand-related support will include 1) Government Affairs activities; 2) Policy and Political insights; 3) Policy development; and 4) Third-Party Advocacy related to public policy.
- Participate in cross-functional commercial planning teams to support policy needs of evidence generation strategy for pipeline products. Be able to demonstrate thought leadership with Commercial and other functions to ensure launch plans account for challenges and opportunities in the external environment.
- Mobilize appropriate company resources to ensure implementation of brand and therapeutic area government affairs strategies. Collaborate cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure global alignment of strategies. Secures resources from brands and other parts of the company to aid GA&P efforts.
- Implement and monitor systems to measure effectiveness and impact of public policy and government affairs activities on the policy environment and on brand asset performance; develop and track key.
- Leads development of comprehensive, proactive government affairs strategies that employ all relevant government affairs tools, including lobbying, third-party and think tank engagement, public policy development, and public affairs. Directs implementation and ensures strategies are driven throughout all parts of the GA&P organization.
- Where appropriate, lead engagement with third-party advocacy organizations, including health care policy experts, and aligned patient and provider groups.
- Requires knowledge of international and domestic government policies that impact the pharmaceutical industry, as well as knowledge of how governments make decisions and what types of input can help shape those decisions. The position requires the integration of political, policy and government affairs expertise to develop and execute effective strategies.
- Must be able to be an effective participant on a commercial team and be effective in interactions with cross-functional partners. Strong business acumen, executive presence, relevant experience in healthcare and knowledge of the US and international reimbursement systems preferred.
- Candidate must possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness and creativity, strong decision-making capability, judgment and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Must work well in a team environment and enjoy working in a collegial, yet highly demanding culture. Must be able to work collaboratively with business leaders and other internal stakeholders.
- Domestic/International travel (25%-33%) required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as public affairs, health care policy, political science, public administration, public policy, economics, or related field required. Advance degree preferred.
- Successful candidates generally have 12-14+ years of experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy. Strong preference for experience in state government- legislature, Governor’s office, agency or similar.
- Master's degree or experience in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry or public health is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, The Ryan White CARE Act, and the Affordable Care Act is preferred
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.