For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Senior Research Scientist I, Process Development, Protein Purification, Oceanside, California
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead has an opportunity for an experienced candidate in our Biologics Development operations at our Oceanside facility in Southern California. We are seeking motivated, team-oriented individuals with scientific expertise in Protein Purification Process Development as well as clinical and commercial operations related to recombinant proteins. Reporting to a Director, Process Development, Biologics in Purification Development, you will have the opportunity to work in teams for the early and late stage clinical development of our protein molecules.
Specific Responsibilities and Skills for Position:
- A thorough understanding of purification process development for early- and late-stage protein therapeutics, including: analysis, scale-up, process optimization, definition of process platforms, and technology transfer to clinical/commercial manufacturing sites.
- Broad understanding of downstream development and scale-up, including centrifugation, normal flow filtration, chromatography operations, tangential flow filtration, and virus inactivation/removal.
- Identifies opportunities for future process and equipment improvements, and champions technology development projects.
- Participates in technology transfer from process development to clinical and commercial GMP manufacturing, including CMO selection, definition of bill of materials, batch record review, and discrepancy resolution.
- Serves as process development representative during purification operations, provides technical troubleshooting insight.
- Hands-on leadership in the laboratory, and oversight and delegation of experimental/project responsibilities, including determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
- Makes key insights and decisions to direct projects with minimal data if necessary, and understands impact of results.
- Writes technical reports, delivers presentations in technical reviews, and authors/reviews regulatory documents.
- Effectively communicate ideas, project goals, and results to team members in cross-functional roles/departments. Proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Mentor, motivate, and develop junior staff.
- Makes decisions affecting direction of project and for ensuring project timelines are met.
- Organized, self-motivated candidates, familiar with the relevant literature, who enjoy
scientific investigation and thinking, are ideal.
- Responsible for developing robust purification processes for manufacturing of drug substances.
- Advises members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
- Familiar with manufacturing operations and reviews master batch records with limited supervision.
- Pays particular attention to avoiding processes that do not scale well.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
- Makes contributions to scientific literature and conferences through publication and presentation of research results.
- Maintains full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports company interests
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy.
- Acts as a resource for other employees within the department.
- Demonstrates strong verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Works with collaborative communication and problem solving spirit.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
PhD and 3+ years of experience in a relevant scientific discipline.
- BS or MS degree in relevant scientific discipline with extensive industry experience.
- Degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry or a related scientific discipline strongly preferred.
- Relevant experience/expertise in purification process development, and sustained excellence in performance and accomplishments that align with company goals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (both verbal and technical).
- Independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Recognize anomalous and inconsistent results, and interpret experimental outcomes.
- Must think critically and creatively, be able to work independently, and determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.