For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Since 1987, Gilead Sciences has worked to discover, develop and commercialize medications to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases in areas of unmet medical need. Headquartered in Foster City, California, the company has expanded rapidly over the past two decades. Gilead’s primary areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver disease and serious cardiovascular/metabolic and respiratory conditions.
Gilead offers the following exciting opportunity based in Gilead headquarters, Foster City, CA.
Sr Director, Trade Operations – Trade Account Management
The Senior Director of Trade Operations – Trade Account Management leads the program implementation and account management for distribution of Gilead’s commercial products across all therapeutic areas. Primary responsibilities include the leadership of the account management team, Strategic Account Planning and activities associated with getting Gilead medicines to patients. This role has responsibility for wholesalers, specialty distributors, retailers and specialty pharmacies.
Reports to: Executive Director, Managed Markets Strategy and Operations
Essential Duties and Functions
- Serves as Gilead’s external point-of-contact for relevant issues, questions or other matters related to Gilead’s channel strategies and distribution networks
- Partners with Trade Strategy and Operations in the implementation of new product channel strategies and modifications based on ongoing market dynamics. Includes the support of required structure, criteria and reporting for new channels and partners and continually reviewing existing programs and evaluating additional development as needed
- Collaborates with Trade Contract Management in the negotiation and execution of channel contracts within the approved strategy guidelines and terms
- Develops long-term strategic plans for the Trade and Channel accounts in support of business and brand and access objectives
- Sets appropriate metrics and KPIs (key performance indicators) to help monitor and measure performance of Gilead’s distribution networks and agreements. Ensures appropriate business reviews are completed
- Leads the Trade Account Management team
- Develops a mission and vision for the Trade Account Management team and measures and communicates the value and strategy to internal stakeholders
- Collaborates and cultivates important and influential relationships with cross-functional business partners and stakeholders, including other Trade and Commercial Operations, broader Managed Markets and the product brand teams
- Works closely with Auditing, Regulatory, Legal and other partners/stakeholders to ensure fully compliant practices, policies & procedures
- Works with Training and CL&D (Commercial Learning and Development) to develop material for team training on both a routine basis and upon request
- Works closely with the Finance team to track costs and forecast operational expenses
- Ensure adequate Standard Operating Procedures to support account management activities. Through auditing and oversight, ensure operations are consistent with documented procedures
- Attends outside meetings or events, as appropriate, to stay abreast of national, local and/or regional changes, trends of other activities that may impact the channel strategy
- Provides routine and ad hoc analyses and reporting and keeps key internal partners and stakeholders abreast of distribution trends
- Maintains timely and effective communications with senior management on key trends and high level performance of the distribution networks
- Lead, sponsor or participate on initiatives from very small to large-scale, highly complex company critical projects
Experience and Skills
- Experienced commercial leader within a pharmaceutical or commercial biopharmaceutical organization, with a diverse and broad set of functional expertise across managed markets organizations.
- Must be an excellent strategic thinker with ability to formulate, develop and execute strategy based on applied analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of the commercial pharmaceutical market and its customers is required
- Extensive knowledge of wholesaler, distributor, specialty pharmacy, payer contracting and pricing methods
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and interpret business issues/opportunities and make sound business judgments regarding solutions
- Able to leverage and optimize partnerships with other functions, including Information Technology, Legal and Financial Planning and Analysis
- Able to make decisions that balance a variety of factors to achieve optimal outcomes
- Demonstrates confidence and able to effectively influence senior business leaders
- Able to effectively manage direct reports according to Gilead and departmental standards
- 14+ years of related experience in a channel and distribution environment within the biotech or pharmaceuticals industry and a BS or BA degree.
- Able to multi-task with multiple interruptions in a deadline intensive environment
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on time management, follow-through, and issue resolution abilities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word and third party claim processing tools is required.
For jobs in the United
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.