The Account Manager's main responsibility is maximizing profitable company sales revenue growth within the assigned accounts focused on identifying, qualifying, negotiating, and closing new business to exceed sales targets. Ideal candidates are sales professionals having demonstrated success calling on senior executives in the Gas, Power and Energy Futures (GPE) Industries and related market segments, offering a unique value proposition, delivering solutions and selling solutions specific to customer needs, whether identified by the potential client or through the discovery process executed by the Account Manager.
Candidates must have strong closing skills, be extremely persistent, be willing to prospect, work well without supervision, be highly money motivated, be effective at building relationships, have keen listening skills, be adept at asking probing questions, be assertive but not aggressive, with outstanding phone and interpersonal skills. Working knowledge of business economics and comfort discussing value propositions with customers is required. The ideal candidate must possess strong business to business direct sales background and a proven track record of exceeding sales quotas. The candidate for this role must have excellent English communication skills (written and verbal). This position will carry quota for renewals and new business and possibly some small renewal business.
Compensation for this position will be salary plus commission. This will be a remote position. We are seeking someone who lives in the Northeast region of the U.S. to cover that territory.
General Job Duties:
The Account Manager, working within the IHS Markit Gas, Power and Energy Futures Team for the Americas, will execute against sales goals, including accurate forecasting and revenue attainment. This generally includes qualifying and disqualifying new business opportunities, identifying customer needs/challenges, delivering executive IHS Markit point of view dialogue, delivering solution presentations to new customers, developing proposals, negotiating contracts, closing business in a timely manner, and fully comprehending the unique IHS Markit value proposition.
The Account Manager will own a specific set of named accounts within the IHS Markit GPE US customer base and will have responsibility for developing new business both within the named accounts as well as at new accounts to IHS Markit GPE.
The Account Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Accountability for driving revenue growth across IHS Markit's GPE business to meet or exceed
expectations, including identification of revenue drivers and metrics focused on market expansion
- Monitoring performance-to-plan throughout the fiscal year and adjusting direction, focus and
sales initiatives as needed to effectively penetrate the market.
- Creating and managing their sales pipeline of new business opportunities in the Customer
Relationship Management (CRM) platform within the assigned territory, generating leads from
face-to-face meetings and discovery calls with customers as well as following inbound leads from
marketing, the GPE Insight team, industry events and other sources.
- Based on opportunities in the sales pipeline in CRM, provide monthly forecasts within a 95%
accuracy rate to create visibility with all market owners on revenue trends and actions to drive
revenues to plan.
- Understanding the product sales cycle and challenges, including the strategies of
competitors, and leveraging this knowledge to hone sales strategies.
- Build a strong network & relationships with the key decision makers within the customers'
organizations to expand sales of IHS Markit GPE products, services and consulting
- Develop and execute account plans & strategies for key customers in conjunction with sales &
- Maintain a thorough understanding of GPE and related industries, including industry trends,
business processes, financial measurements, performance indicators and key competitors.
- Working with Product and Sales Management to ensure proper positioning of complex
- Competency in delivering price for value relative to the appropriate product solution.
- Quickly learn basics about the IHS Markit GPE offering portfolio and strive to become expert
level within 12-18 months.
- 4 year College Degree. Science or related technical field a plus but not necessary. Sales
experience in or to the Power, Gas, Coal, Renewables, Petroleum or Refining industries
- A minimum of 7 years sales experience, with at least 5 years of experience in face to face
selling of complex enterprise solutions to customers in the United States.
- Demonstrated success in closing large and complex sales through regional GPE industry
knowledge, negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Proven ability to uncover needs and the buying process at private and public multi-national
- Skilled in consultative and value selling methodology, with a deep understanding of the
client's needs, challenges and goals.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies for revenue growth that capitalize on
the unique nature of specific environments, leveraging partner and other relationships creatively
without being tied to a specific approach. Appropriately adapts and leverages products, services
and operations to effectively compete in competitive markets.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications required (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in a Customer Resource Management platform required. Salesforce or Microsoft
- Must be flexible with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all
- Travel: 35% of the time - some overnight travel required.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.