Company & Team - "About Us"
IHS Markit provides global pricing and reference data, indices and information services across multiple asset classes. Customers throughout the financial services industry leverage our Information products and services for independent valuations and to support research and analysis, risk management, regulatory reporting and trading.
Markit Indices sits within the Information division of Markit, one of three divisions of the global parent. Markit Indices is a leading independent provider of financial indices across all major asset classes. Our span of products cover global equity and fixed income markets and include globally recognized benchmarks such as our branded index families including iBoxx and iTraxx , and our Markit PMITM economic indices. Indices also offers related services which provide Index and ETP constituent aggregation and analysis to manage risk, attribute performance and inform investment decisions. In Asia our indices include the award-winning Markit iBoxx ABF Pan-Asia, Markit iBoxx Singapore Dollar and Markit iTraxx index and the HSBC PMI indices. We are market leader for bond indices used i n exchange traded funds .
Duties and Responsibilities - "Your Role"
IHS Markit is looking for an experienced hire, up to Senior Associate, with quantitative/investment background. Location will be London. The focus of the role is to support the development of new IHS Markit and bespoke indices for clients, focusing on leveraging assets available to IHS Markit and creating innovative products.
The role encompasses the full lifecycle of index product development, from market research, prototyping, client validation, product development, and coordination with other internal teams to ensure successful product launch. The individual will be part of a team that creates intellectual capital for IHS Markit and have ownership and responsibility of the index design process.
- Support the development of new benchmark and tradable bond indices in conjunction with key index stakeholders
- Undertake analysis of markets and data collection and conduct scenario analysis for the research and development of new index methodologies
- Extensive modelling of index methodologies in order to produce index constituent list and weights, and to back-test results
- Attend client meetings and conference calls with salespeople to present the current thoughts and ideas of Markit Indices and to understand and manage client requirements
- Writing of index specification guides
- Index setup and calculation: develop calculation prototypes and test cases for new indices; perform test calculations and reconciliation of the results with clients
- Quality control: daily checks and testing of index calculation and output files around the release of new indices
Job Requirements - "About You"
- Ability to think through a problem and break it into steps
- Understanding of fixed income securities
- Python , SQL, Excel
- Ability to summarise complex algorithms without getting lost in details
- Experience with ESG data or building ESG indices a plus
Education and experience
- Solid quantitative background
- Programming skills in Python and SQL or Java or C++
- Knowledge of the fixed income, especially bond market
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities and modelling
- Understanding of other asset classes including equities, FX and derivatives is an advantage
- A high degree of awareness of the financial/resource implications of index design decisions is required
- A keen interest in the developments and trends within financial markets in areas such as fixed income, asset management and ETFs
Job Benefits - "What we offer"
- Cash incentive plan and equity award
- Options to work remotely
- Development and growth plan into higher level management
- Training support towards further financial market qualifications
- Opportunity to work with world experts in ETFs & indices
- A strong client base and broad product line from the industry leader in the segment
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.