IHS Markit Oil Markets, Downstream and Chemicals group provide data, strategic research and analysis across the oil, midstream, downstream and chemical markets so our clients can make critical decisions with confidence. Energy, chemical players and financial institutions rely on us to better understand market, company and economic behaviour to adjust their business strategy. Our data and research ranges from near/long term outlooks, competitive benchmark, market analysis and technology assessments.
Within the Refining and Marketing division, we provide insight on the industry and market fundamentals of refining crude oil and marketing refined products - including supply/demand balances, trade, prices, capacities and infrastructure. We forecast product balances and benchmark refining margins, details for national markets around the world as well as guidance on what is an anomaly, and what is a fundamental shift in the market.
The position will be based in Paris and you will be closely working with the Paris downstream research team consisting of a group of analysts covering Africa, the Middle East, Europe and CIS and working with global teams across IHS Markit.
You will be a key member of the IHS Markit Refining and Marketing - African Downstream team. Reporting into the manager of the African downstream research team, you will be responsible for continued monitoring of the African downstream oil market, including market trends, competitive environment, strategic and competitive position of major industry players, supply chain structure, and legislative evolution. You will undertake key responsibilities such as:
- Management, maintenance and enhancement of proprietary analytical models, associated oil-related databases and information, and proactively search for new data and information sources.
- Interpreting technical information and share insights and understanding.
- Supporting subscription activities by producing deadline-driven, quick-turnaround analysis and research on the downstream markets in Africa and on the companies operating within them.
- Working across global teams to support the short-term and long-term forecasting of demand, refinery operations, prices and margins
- Contributing to consulting projects as required and as driven by business needs; developing independent analysis in support of the project, contributing to market fundamentals and high-level financial modelling, and supporting delivery of high-quality client-specific projects.
The key qualifications and skills you have are:
- Excellent level of English, very good written and verbal presentation skills
- 2 years of experience in research/ analysis for the energy sector
- High literacy, and ability to undertake structured analysis
- Strong and demonstrable numeracy and quantitative analysis skills
- Excellent Excel skills and proficiency with other MS applications required (Word and Powerpoint)
- Strong analytical and quality control skills
- The ability to work to deadlines and prioritize a complex workload
- Proven background in African downstream oil markets and knowledge of the energy industry, in particular oil refining and distribution, is preferred - an enthusiastic interest in the industry and Africa is required
- Precision and obsession with detail
- Must be flexible with the ability to work collaboratively
- Foreign languages are a plus
- Given the particular circumstances related to the pandemic, this role may be fully or partly remote to start with, so you will need to be autonomous and self-motivating
What we offer
- Base salary plus cash incentive plan and equity award
- Annual leave
- Health insurance
- Other location-specific benefits
- Opportunity to develop skills and knowledge in a truly global working environment, and contribute to projects on a broad range of topics Growth opportunities, both vertically into leadership roles, and horizontally, as IHS Markit brings together the deepest intelligence across the widest set of capital-intensive industries and markets
- A cover letter is mandatory
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.