IHS Markit Global IT provide services across a broad range of technical disciplines and leverages investment in world class technologies in support of IHS Markit's extensive range of products and clients. Operating within the Build function of the 'plan, build, deliver run model, Solutions Architecture is responsible for defining, planning and designing infrastructure solution designs to support our in-house developed applications which are then delivered through the IT Delivery function.
Through our experience we support all IHS Markit's products on a global basis offering a breadth of "right sized" IT solutions in terms of availability, speed, capacity, security, efficiency, scalability and manageability.
The Solutions Architecture team are a small team of highly experienced and skilled infrastructure architects who are focused on ensuring the Global IT Build function delivers robust and "fit for purpose" solutions to host and support our internal applications, using the firm's current engineered standard infrastructure components and global models. We work closely with our application development colleagues to understand the application architecture and dependencies to then design the supporting infrastructure which is built on services and building blocks provided by the engineering teams within the IT Build function.
The firm is in the early stage of an exciting, forward looking, firmwide transformative program of work where all of IHSM systems and products globally are being rebuilt out of our multiple, geographically spread, on-premises data centers onto VMware Cloud on AWS. This once in a generation, five-year program will oversee multiple concurrent streams covering several hundred migrations of applications servicing energy, finance, automotive, engineering, technology, maritime and trade, aerospace and defense, chemical, and economics and country risk across the EU and the US. VMware Cloud has been chosen to speed the transition of applications from our on-premises data centers to the cloud by minimizing the amount of application redesign needed to accomplish this.
To help to deliver our VMware cloud initiative efficiently we need to expand our Solutions Architecture practice with experienced, and high performing individuals who are passionate about delivering solid, repeatable, standards based solutions in a highly dynamic and, sometimes, ambiguous environment. There are significant opportunities for successful candidates to both grow their own skills and experience in VMware Cloud's rapidly developing technologies as well as influence and help shape the processes and capabilities of the IT group as we progress through the global transformation of IT infrastructure journey.
Our team sits in the 'IT Build' function within Global IT alongside the Technical Architecture and Infrastructure Engineering teams who are responsible for selecting and engineering the firm's standard infrastructure components and foundational architecture. We provide the interface between these teams and our extensive internal customer base focusing on discovery, assessment, architecture, design and agreeing the underlying infrastructure specification and configuration required to satisfy the multiple demands of our development teams. We do this wherever possible using our current VMware cloud standards, models and building blocks already established within the firm. Where these components or models don't provide the necessary capabilities, our role is to identify and quantify the need, and to pursue potential solutions with the various IT Product Owners, IT Technical Architecture and IT Engineering teams.
The position of an Infrastructure Solutions Architect focuses upon providing technical guidance and advice, including leadership on our technical approach and product selection to our internal application development and Product teams. This is an "Individual Contributor" role and does not involve any line management. However, you will manage initiatives allocated to you and work with internal engineering teams and third party suppliers, if appropriate, to draw out the requirements and develop an appropriate architecture. In most cases, you will hand over to a Delivery Manager once the architecture design is completed and agreed. You will then move to a supporting role during the delivery aspect of the project lifecycle; for smaller initiatives, you may be required to oversee the implementation. It is also expected that Solution Architects will drive reviews of global standards and foster a culture where standards are defined and agreed globally where necessary.
The role will be both demanding and rewarding and you will be expected to be comfortable in leading and influencing senior leaders up to senior VP/Managing Director level across the organisation to help to deliver this mission critical program of work successfully over the next 5 years.
Typically, you will have 15+ years of technology experience and 5+ years of experience in Infrastructure Architecture, although there is some flexibility depending on the candidate's career history.
To learn more about IHS Markit's Cloud and VMware Cloud strategy please take the opportunity to listen to our Chief Administration Officer, Sari Granat, speaking at VMworld 2019. You can find the recording here.
Duties & accountabilities
- You will review requirements from IHS Markit internal application development teams and lead
discussions with stakeholders and Infrastructure team heads in order to get a suitable
Infrastructure solution defined, scoped and costs agreed.
- Establish, with the application development team, the detailed 'as is' state of the current
application suites' architecture, supporting infrastructure, dependencies and connectivity as a
preparatory step to moving in to VMC
- Architect, design, document and agree "standard" global infrastructure solutions for the 'to
be' state post migration
- Help and guide IT infrastructure Product and Engineering teams to review Infrastructure
offerings, and work with vendors where new solutions would benefit IHS Markit.
- Assist Infrastructure project managers with scope, approach and sign off.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to existing infrastructure offerings
- Offer ongoing consultancy as required during the delivery phase of the project
- Manage architecture process for multiple concurrent projects
Education and experience
- Proven experience in Infrastructure Solutions Architecture
- Must have worked in a large, complex environment with a wide selection of technologies in
- An understanding of capacity management and planning
- University graduate
- Awareness of or accreditation in Agile.
- Top-class VMware knowledge with 7 years or more working with ESXi and exposure to NSX and
- Experience of, or exposure to, VMware Cloud would be advantageous although not essential
- First-rate architectural knowledge of either Linux or Windows, Databases (MS-SQL or Oracle DB
with RAC), Web, Messaging, storage and networking.
- AWS certified Associate or Professional Architect with preferably one years of designing with
- Awareness of microservices technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experienced in designing infrastructure solutions for n-tier architecture applications
- Strong understanding of HA/DR technologies
- Good understanding of security technologies and processes
- Software and Infrastructure life cycle management
- Broad knowledge of technical processes
- On-going awareness of infrastructure developments in the IT industry
- Knowledge of the business drivers and constraints with the Financial Services sector.
- TOGAF certified desirable but not essential
You will have a number of the following attributes:
- Strong analytical and solutions design and architecture skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Good presentation skills
- Good problem solver
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Take responsibility for your own actions and the actions of your team
- Displays confidence, energy, drive and stamina.
- Able to progress multiple tasks at the same time
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations.
- Client side experience / worked for a systems integrator/outsourcer beneficial in working
with internal clients
- Innovative, enthusiastic and keen to gain greater responsibility in their next role
- Excellent communication / stakeholder management skills
- Capable of working in ambiguous situations from time to time
- Must be an excellent communicator both written and verbally. Will be dealing with a
variety of different people at all levels (both internal and external).
- Will need to work within a global environment and communicate clearly with teams in different
- Must be able to work in a team environment where influencing and motivational skills are
- You have experience working in a remote culture or can adjust your work style to be
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.