Lewis Silkin is a UK top-100 commercial law firm with offices in London, Oxford, Cardiff, Dublin and Hong Kong. The firm is recognised by clients and industries alike as being distinct: for its deep understanding, insight and advice to creative, innovative and brand-focused businesses; for its market-leading international practice in employment, immigration and reward; and for delivering pragmatic, commercial advice in a refreshingly human way.
With 59 partners and more than 340 staff, the firm is structured around two key divisions; the Employment, Immigration and Reward (EIR) and the Creators, Makers and Innovators (CMI).The department
The employment team of Lewis Silkin is one of the leading employment law practices both domestically and internationally. The is amongst the largest in the UK with 23 employment / immigration partners and around 100 other specialist lawyers.
The team’s work comprises a mix of contentious and non-contentious matters for a diverse range of clients. Our lawyers undertake a significant amount of business development, including giving seminars, producing Lewis Silkin branded publications and driving client relationships. International advice is central to our practice and we are members of the Ius Laboris international alliance of employment lawyers.Responsibilities
The jobholder will provide administrative support and assistance to the wider team of the EIR division, including secretaries, associates and partners on a day to day basis.
Key elements of the role include:
- General administrative tasks, including but not limited to: opening post and distributing, filing, photocopying, printing and scanning.
- Providing assistance with billing – distributing engrossed invoices, drafting basic letters and narratives, scanning, and sending out.
- Archiving files with the use of the Elite management system and FileTrack.
- Opening new clients/matters and creating physical files.
- General office administration tasks, including but not limited to: answering the telephone and dealing with queries/taking messages, helping to arrange meetings for team members (external and internal), making sure rooms are set up correctly for internal meetings (i.e. ensuring, where appropriate, video conferencing is set up), booking couriers and delivering by hand.
- When disbursements are received from third parties, checking whether they have already been billed and, if not, ensuring they are put on to the relevant matter.
- Processing expenses.
- Assisting with the maintaining of databases as required.
- Assisting with ordering stationery for the department and monitoring the department laptops.
- Undertaking research as and when required (for internal or external purposes – such as travel, company/client information).
- Generally assisting secretaries, associates and partners as requested if capacity allows.
This is a challenging role offering actual experience working in a legal environment. The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and enjoy working in an involved team environment. They must be highly organised. They must have a flexible nature and a co-operative and willing attitude.
Some office work experience would be an advantage.
Abilities and desired qualities:
Typing skills (40 wpm).
Good eye for detail.
Excellent organisational skills.
Ability to communicate at all levels.
Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Professional in conduct and appearance.
Punctual at all times.
- The ability to work overtime when required.
IT skills required:
- Some experience or knowledge of Word, document management systems and Outlook would be beneficial, although not essential as full training will be provided.
Educational and professional qualifications required:
Good grammatical English - at least to GCSE standard or equivalent
No agencies please.
Lewis Silkin is an Equal Opportunities employer.