Lewis Silkin is a UK top-100 commercial law firm with offices in London, Oxford, Cardiff, Dublin and Hong Kong. The firm is recognised by clients and industries alike as being distinct: for its deep understanding, insight and advice to creative, innovative and brand-focused businesses; for its market-leading international practice in employment, immigration and reward; and for delivering pragmatic, commercial advice in a refreshingly human way.
With 58 partners and more than 380 staff, the firm is structured around two key divisions; the Employment, Immigration and Reward (EIR) and the Creators, Makers and Innovators (CMI).The department
The employment team of Lewis Silkin is one of the leading employment law practices both domestically and internationally. The team is amongst the largest in the UK with 23 employment / immigration partners and around 100 other specialist lawyers.
The team’s work comprises a mix of contentious and non-contentious matters for a diverse range of clients. Our lawyers undertake a significant amount of business development, including giving seminars, producing Lewis Silkin branded publications and driving client relationships. International advice is central to our practice and we are members of the Ius Laboris international alliance of employment lawyers.Responsibilities
The overall objective of this busy role is to provide administrative support to the division with a view to ensuring that individual tasks are completed cost-effectively and at the appropriate level.
The jobholder will provide administrative support and assistance to the EIR division at all levels, including secretaries, associates and partners on a day to day basis as required.
- General administrative tasks, including but not limited to: opening and distributing post, filing, photocopying, printing and scanning;
- Providing assistance with billing as required including but not limited to distributing engrossed invoices, drafting basic letters and narratives, scanning and sending out;
- Archiving files with the use of the Elite management system and FileTrack;
- Opening new clients/matters and creating physical client/matter files;
- General office administration tasks, including but not limited to: answering the telephone and dealing with queries/taking messages, helping to arrange meetings for team members (external and internal), making sure rooms are set up correctly for internal meetings (i.e. ensuring, where appropriate, video conferencing is set up), booking couriers and other delivery methods as required;
- Checking when disbursements are received from third parties whether they have already been billed, and if not, ensuring they are put on to the relevant matter;
- Processing expenses;
- Assisting with the maintaining of databases as required;
- Assisting with ordering stationery for the division and monitoring the department laptops;
- Undertaking research as and when required (for internal or externals purposes – such as travel, company/client information);
- Generally assisting secretaries, associates and partners as requested.
This is a challenging role offering actual experience working in a legal environment. The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and enjoy working in a team environment. They must be highly organised; have a flexible nature and a co-operative and willing attitude.
Previous demonstrable experience of office/administrative work.
Abilities and desired qualities:
Typing skills (40 wpm);
Good eye for detail;
Excellent organisational skills and the ability to effectively prioritise workload as needed;
Ability to communicate at all levels;
Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure;
Professional in conduct and appearance;
- Punctual at all times and the flexibility to work overtime when required.
IT skills required:
- Experience or knowledge of Word/Excel, document management systems and Outlook would be beneficial, although not essential as full training will be provided.
Educational and professional qualifications required:
Good grammatical English - at least to GCSE standard or equivalent.
No agencies please.
Lewis Silkin is an equal opportunities employer.