FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY TO ENHANCE YOUR CAREER WITHIN MERCERâ€™S WEALTH TEAM
London (or any other Mercer UK office)
Mercer is looking for talented and ambitious pension actuarial analysts who are keen to develop their career with a client consulting focus.Â This is an opportunity to join a great multi-disciplined team providing clients with leading edge advice across funding, investment, risk transfer and covenant.Â We are looking for individuals with excellent communication skills, business acumen and a client focus, alongside the core technical skills.Â
You will be working as part of a team to develop and deliver customised advice and solutions to clients (trustee and corporates) with a primary focus on DB pension schemes. The world of retirement saving is changing and Mercer is developing innovative solutions for our clients and their employees, whether it is around interactive and personalised communications, or delivering robo advice.
This is an opportunity to work on a wide range of clients, working directly with Scheme Actuaries, or part of larger teams on complex clients; we tailor the client mix to support and develop an individualâ€™s skills now and into the future.
The majority of the base number crunching is carried out by specialist teams, which allows the consulting team to focus on solving our clientsâ€™ needs and adding value to client solutions. We are looking for individuals who can bring that focus alongside an ability to work directly with senior actuaries and clients at an early stage.
This role would be suitable for someone who already has experience working with trustees and corporates on DB pensions within an actuarial consultancy role and making good progress through the actuarial exams; all the way up to those nearly qualified. Mercer provides full-study support for students undertaking the actuarial exams.
Why is Mercer different?
Besides working for one of the worldâ€™s largest consultancy firms; you will be given opportunities to excel and grow in a high performing team of actuaries and consultants. The team is structured so that analysts are given opportunities to deliver advice directly to a range of clients from an early stage. You will be supported through real situations to expand both your actuarial and consulting skills, and to choose your own career path.
As our pension and investment consultants work together as part of one Wealth team, we can provide you with an abundance of career enhancing opportunities. Where individuals wish, they are able to work on both actuarial and investment clients. Analysts also have opportunities to work on member options and risk transfer projects.
Beyond this, Mercer provides the potential for opportunities in other lines of business, or via our Global & International rotation program.
What is the role?
- Assisting consultants on the preparation and delivery of both day to day, and strategic advice
- Supporting and participating in client meetings, as well as liaising with clients between meetings
- Dealing with queries received from the client, third parties and internal clients
- Carrying out non-standard scheme benefit calculations and involvement in wider actuarial work (i.e. assumptions advice, funding advice, actuarial factor reviews, funding updates, accounting)
- Checking technical accuracy, reasonableness, and â€˜sense checkingâ€™ you own work, and that of others
- Supporting senior colleagues in research, analysis and general preparation of materials for new business opportunities
Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Education to degree level and be undertaking actuarial professional qualifications
- A strong understanding of how UK pensions schemes operate
- Strong analytical, numerical and critical thinking skills, including a good understanding of actuarial approaches for pensions
- Excellent planning and organisational abilities, in order to prioritise and complete work
- Ability to build relationships with colleagues and clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. Weâ€™re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees â€” whether weâ€™re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see peopleâ€™s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, weâ€™ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visitwww.mercer.comfor more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer.
At Mercer we are open to flexible and part time working arrangements for new hires. Â The aim of our flexible working policy is to enable employees to balance work and home life more effectively, whilst meeting the needs of our business. This is another step towards us being an employer of choice. We encourage you to discuss your requirements with us when you apply for a role.