Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. (‘Marsh & McLennan’) is committed to compliance with applicable economic sanctions, anti-terrorist financing laws, export controls and anti-boycott laws, as well-as anti-money laundering laws in the conduct of our business.
Reporting to Marsh & McLennan’s Head of Financial Crime, the Head of Sanctions & AML is responsible for the development and maintenance of a robust global sanctions and AML framework, ensuring compliance with all applicable sanctions and AML programs. The primary focus of this role is on sanctions, given the more limited applicability of AML legislation for insurance and reinsurance broking globally and MMC’s generally lower AML risk.
Key role responsibilities include:
- Being Marsh & McLennan’s primary sanctions and AML Subject Matter Expert (‘SME’) and providing thought leadership and high quality advice. A thorough knowledge of OFAC sanctions in particular is essential;
- Liaising with regional and local Legal and Compliance colleagues and stakeholders within the business as well as external counsel, regulators, Marsh & McLennan’s banking relationships and insurers;
- Maintaining and enhancing Marsh & McLennan’s sanctions and AML frameworks, including risk assessments, policies and procedures are current and relevant;
- Ensuring a comprehensive sanctions screening program;
- Planning for and reacting to regulatory developments on a timely basis; and
- Communications and training.
This role can be located in either London or New York.
1. Providing thought leadership and high quality advice to internal stakeholders in relation to sanctions, export controls and money laundering. A significant proportion of this time will be spent handling and advising on complex OFAC-related matters. (40%)
2. Maintaining and enhancing Marsh & McLennan’s sanctions and AML frameworks, including risk assessments, policies and procedures are current and relevant. (30%)
3. Guiding the Global AML/Sanctions leader on Marsh & McLennan’s sanctions screening program. (10%)
4. Liaison with external stakeholders, including external counsel, regulators, Marsh & McLennan’s banking relationships and insurers (10%)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- U.S.-qualified lawyer, extensive years of experience. Financial Crime qualifications not essential but desirable.
- Strong sanctions & AML expertise (must be an SME, particularly in OFAC sanctions).
- Proven track record of driving change, and the ability to implement best practices, set priorities, plan, facilitate collaboration, direct activities and track accountability. Strong background in corporate compliance and the ability to understand, interpret and apply complex regulatory requirements to business practices.
- Experience with financial services, insurance industry preferred. Global experience a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to communicate and present confidently to senior level leaders within the business and key external stakeholders.
- Experience of developing and delivering training in their subject.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent writer and oral advocate, strong project management skills, strong influence skills.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and team-building skills; ability to transcend functional and operational boundaries, listen well and form strong relationships across companies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Financial Crime qualifications not essential but desirable.
Marsh is a global leader in insurance broking and risk management. In more than 130 countries, our experts in every facet of risk and across industries help clients to anticipate, quantify, and more fully understand the range of risks they face. We work with clients of all sizes to define, design, and deliver innovative solutions to better quantify and manage risk. We offer risk management, risk consulting, insurance broking, alternative risk financing, and insurance program management services to businesses, government entities, organizations, and individuals around the world.To every client interaction we bring an unmatched combination of deep intellectual capital, industry-specific expertise, global experience, and collaboration.Since 1871, clients have relied on Marsh for trusted advice, to represent their interests in the marketplace, make sense of an increasingly complex world, and help turn risks into new opportunities for growth. Our more than 30,000 colleagues work on behalf of our clients, who are enterprises of all sizes in every industry, and include individuals, multinational organizations, and government entities worldwide. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients.Visit www.marsh.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @MarshGlobal
Marsh and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: pension, health and welfare, tuition assistance, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/.We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.