At Mercer you will be a key real estate specialist working in the Alternatives team as part of a wider team of manager researchers operating across asset classes. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a global organisation and to be part of the group responsible for recommending investment strategies that are used by Mercer"EURTMs clients globally. This role will have a specific focus on providing market, manager and strategic research on UK and Continental European real estate markets and fund managers investing in those markets.
The key focus of the role
To evaluate real estate investment managers and identify those most capable of delivering strong performance for Mercer"EURTMs client portfolios. Key responsibilities will be:
- Setting research priorities in the given area of coverage in conjunction with the needs of the business;
- Co-ordination with external investment management firms to undertake research on specific investment strategies;
- Collation and interpretation of quantitative analysis such as performance data, peer group analysis, summary views, portfolio holdings analysis and research ratings;
- Conduct qualitative analysis of investment teams and the wider investment management business.
- Conducting manager meetings, including specifying pre-meeting desk research, establishing agenda for meeting and conducting post-meeting evaluation;
- Writing meeting notes to a professional standard;
- Composing research documents outlining the strengths and weaknesses of a strategy and making a recommendation based on research;
- Contributing to ad-hoc real estate related research projects;
- Representing the manager research process and recommendation to clients and prospects;
- Being an expert in understanding of the industry dynamics of assigned product area(s), including the different portfolio management approaches and competitive strategies amongst managers;
- Pro-actively managing and maintaining a list of recommended managers in assigned product area(s) in accordance with established Manager Research procedures;
- Identifying industry changes and evolution in assigned product area(s) and manages own approach to product area(s) accordingly;
- Playing an active role in developing intellectual capital, displaying initiative to remain a market leader; pro-actively identifies and manages value-added ad hoc projects;
- Contributing to and promoting company external image, e.g. press spokesperson in own specialist area, contributes/produces articles for press/publications and/or participates in professional bodies and external presentations.
This is a key role within Mercer"EURTMs Alternatives team. The individual in this role will be responsible for Mercer"EURTMs research and intellectual capital on a group of real estate strategies, supporting colleagues who provide investment management and consulting services around the world. The successful candidate will be working closely with advisory client consultants, discretionary portfolio managers and Mercer"EURTMs global management research team, and also producing content for subscribers to our Global Investment Manager Database. The role has a high profile within the real estate industry.
Experience, skills & attributes
- CFA or Master"EURTMs degree in a relevant subject or other relevant qualification
- Few years"EURTM experience at a real estate consulting firm, large institutional investor or investment consultant. Direct experience of researching either real estate managers or real estate markets, preferably both.
- Ability to work autonomously to tight deadlines and with multiple stakeholders.
- Investment competence: a strong understanding of a broad range of portfolio management and investment approaches, process and markets, with a focus on real estate.
- Technical competence: comfortable with techniques and tools for analysing investment strategy outcomes, such as: regression analysis, risk models, style analysis, peer group analysis and statistical performance analysis.
- Decisive: must be comfortable making decisions using qualitative analysis supported by some quantitative data, and to defend own point of view in debate.
- Strong written communicator: capable of writing clear, concise and logically argued research reports in a timely manner, sometimes to tight deadlines.
- Strong verbal communicator: confident driving meetings and interviews with leading investment professionals and posing challenging questions.
- Sound intellect: capable of understanding conceptually complex issues and explaining them in terms that others can understand. Intellectually curious.
- Capable of representing Mercer and the research process both internally and externally (including public speaking).
- A team player who can interact with colleagues who are based around the globe.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We"EURTMre in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees "EUR" whether we"EURTMre designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people"EURTMs current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialised expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we"EURTMve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.