Can you work under pressure and to tight deadlines? Are you organised and committed to delivering high quality of work? If so this could be the perfect role for you!
As a SSC (Shared Service Centre) Accountant you will be a pro-active, results led individual who is able to balance multiple deliverables whilst satisfying a strict control environment by retaining the highest standards of governance. Ideally you will have experience in working within a busy shared services function of a similar organisation.
The MMC EMEA accounting operations team supports 16 countries across Europe and forms part of the controllership function that are responsible for ensuring accounting is in adherence to organisation policies, procedures and SOX requirements. The department is supported by an offshore transactional processing team of approximately 100 employees with onshore headcount at around 40. The teams are functionally aligned as follows: Fixed Assets & Expenses, Revenue & Foreign Exchange, Intercompany & Consolidation, Bank reconciliation, Procure to Pay and Cash Control.
In addition to this, the department has involvement in acquisitions and global projects. It supports initiatives for individual career progression and skill expansion.
This role sits within the CE Fixed Assets and Expenses team who are responsible for all activities in relation to accounting for tangible and intangible fixed assets, payroll accounting and expenses for the CE entities. Specific responsibilities include preparation of accruals, P&L review and analysis, balance sheet reconciliations, journal creation and approval, payroll interface validations; and reporting.
- Production & control review of all balance sheet reconciliations within functional team remit
- Exception reporting and perform checks prior to issuing
- Ensure timely investigation and resolution of any exception items
- Ensure all month-end and quarter-end deliverables are met
- Communicate regularly with offshore counterpart
- To play a lead role in the continuous improvement of business processes
- Record and monitor new tasks through change control process
- Mailbox management
- Attend meetings with managers, colleagues and clients as required.
- Assist with other ad-hoc tasks, projects and initiatives as required.
- Assist auditors and SOX testers.
- Assist with current and future accounting operation transitions
- Delivery of training to Offshore teams
- Journal creation, review and approvals
- Preparation and review of quarterly reporting schedules
- Payroll interface checking
- Expense accrual preparation and review
- Fixed asset interface checking
- Fixed asset to GL reconciliation and review
- P&L analysis and commentary to the business
- Part/Qualified ACCA/CIMA (or equivalent).
- Advanced skills in Excel – V lookups, pivots
- Flexible and team player – develops close partnerships with onshore and offshore colleagues
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and deliver results to short timescales.
- Previous proven ability to identify areas to improve efficiency, accuracy and analysis and suggest and implement process improvements.
- Prior experience of Oracle and HFM (preferred but not essential)
- Insurance industry experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- Lean/Six Sigma knowledge.
Marsh & McLennan Companies is a global professional services firm providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. It is the parent company of a number of the world’s leading risk experts and specialty consultants, including Marsh, the insurance broker and risk advisor; Guy Carpenter, the risk and reinsurance specialist; Mercer, the provider of HR and related financial advice and services; and Oliver Wyman, management consultancy. With over 50,000 employees worldwide and annual revenue of approximately $10 billion, Marsh & McLennan Companies provides analysis, advice and transactional capabilities to clients in more than 100 countries. Its stock (ticker symbol: MMC) is listed on the New York, Chicago and London stock exchanges.