PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Sound Design Manager
Reporting to the Audio Director, the role will manage the sound design team; helping drive and develop processes and structures, overseeing resource allocations, hire and build a growing team, managing day to day needs of the sound team, and ensuring the group’s business goals are being met. Facilitation of team interaction, communication and collaboration across the team is fundamental to the role.
What you'll be doing:
- Day-to-day management of the CSG Sound Team
- Identify, co-ordinate and request appropriate resources (human and otherwise) for each project
- Oversee the effective production, execution and delivery of industry-leading, impactful work that will help deliver best-in-class content for our games
- Ensure the structure of the Audio team is always fit to meet the upcoming and current needs of the business
- Develop the Sound Team’s growth with support, training, mentoring and ensuring the necessary tools, facilities and equipment.
- Ensure close collaboration with any other teams, as appropriate, to ensure a holistic approach to audio is always taken
- Take the lead in overseeing and/or delegating the audio direction of game titles where necessary and appropriate.
- Effectively work to timescales and budgets, foreseeing potential complications/risks/change in scope to projects
- Work closely with production team to ensure cost projections, time sheets and project charging is running smoothly
- Liaise with sound teams around the world to ensure we are strategizing globally on our game audio
- Ensure Audio team are hitting goals agreed with the Audio Director
- Maintain a list of external companies, agencies and freelancers and use accordingly, when required
- Ensure the high-quality bar of our sound output is consistently met
- Be aware of current audio trends within the games industry and beyond
- Work with the programming team to strategise future audio developments
- Work with other discipline leads to develop areas that increase efficiency and quality
- Act as an ambassador for sound – promoting best practices, creative excellence, innovation in the field and value of the art
What we're looking for:
- Minimum 8 years’ experience, or
- Minimum 3 shipped AAA games in sound leadership role.
- Minimum two development cycles managing, coaching, and mentoring sound designers.
- Strong executive communication and presentation skills.
- Proven leadership skills and capabilities.
- Fluent in interactive audio and post production techniques.
- Excellent command of sound design & mixing techniques, processes and tools.
- Multi-specialized, able to create world class audio content spread across multiple aesthetics.
- Imaginative use of audio production tools, Foley performance and capture, props, and recording techniques to create high quality original content.
- Familiar with authoring techniques within commercial middleware (WWISE, FMOD, etc…).
- Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.