PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Reporting to the Principal Technical Sound Designer, the Technical Sound Designer will work closely with the audio, music and programming teams to create, implement, maintain and debug complex audio playback systems for our games. The ideal candidate thrives on bridging the gap between creative and technical implementation challenges, is always keen to deepen their understanding of systems and workflows and is excellent at communicating complex topics equally with both creative and technically minded audiences. This is not a music composition role.
The Creative Services Group (CSG) is an award-winning centralised internal creative agency within PlayStation Studios. We endeavour to build a working environment where our people flourish and create their best work. Structured around eight core disciplines; Brand Design, UI/UX, Motion, Video, Film, Sound, Music and Programming, we deliver projects in collaboration with our game development, marketing and PR teams.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, script and support complex interactive audio systems across a range of engines and tools, incorporating sound design, music and voice
- Manage Wwise project organization, structures, gameplay parameter setups and optimizations
- Work along-side audio programmers and sound designers to develop the framework of audio playback systems based on creative vision and game-play needs
- Define and apply best practices of technical audio workflows and systems
- Collaborate with various disciplines (art, design, and code) to ensure audio systems are incorporated into all aspects of gameplay and fully realized
- Help define and realise the audio vision of the game set out by the audio leads
- Troubleshoot and debug audio tools, systems and functionality
- Provide technical support for sound designers across multiple projects.
- Design and implement high quality audio assets within the audio engine, game engine and pipeline
What we are looking for:
- A collaborator – we value discussion and consensus
- Great communicator: strong written and verbal skills
- Loves solving complex problems
- Well-organised, detailed orientated and maintains high standards
- Passionate about process/workflow
- 3+ years of Professional sound design experience in games industry
- Extensive experience of audio integration in modern game engines and designing game audio systems
- Highly Proficient with Wwise and Industry Standard DAWs (Reaper/Pro Tools etc)
- Experience with visual scripting systems (e.g. blueprints)
- Strong attention to detail and great organizational skills
- Technical curiosity, creativity
- Basic scripting in Python/Lua or similar
- Experience in AAA development with shipped titles in sound design/tech sound design role
- Experience with ReaScript, Extensions.
- Experience with 3D Audio
- Good creative sound design skills
Equal Opportunity Statement:
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.