PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing comprehensive, integrated drug development, laboratory and lifecycle management services. Accelerated Enrollment Solutions (AES), a business unit of Pharmaceutical Product Development (PPD), meets clinical trial sponsors’ strategic needs for clinical trial acceleration. AES combines the power of dedicated global clinical trial sites with comprehensive patient engagement and retention services to provide unparalleled differentiation in the marketplace with certainty of time, budget, speed and quality. AES’ mission is to help deliver more therapies to more patients, faster, including in response to Covid-19.
AES headquarters are in Horsham, Pennsylvania, US. The role will be remote based during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Consideration can be given for the right candidate to be remote based on a permanent basis.
The Associate Privacy Director will be responsible for operational management of the privacy program under the strategic direction of PPD’s VP Global Privacy. This includes, but is not limited to, supervising daily operations of the program, development, implementation, and maintenance of policies and procedures, monitoring program compliance, investigation and tracking of incidents and breaches and insuring patients' rights in compliance with international, federal and state data protection and privacy laws.
The nature of AES operations mandates that the company handles significant quantities of confidential personal information, both in terms of managing clinical trials at dedicated AES and partner sites globally and in terms of patient recruitment strategies. The ADP will be an experienced privacy professional that has deep subject matter expertise, excellent organisational, planning and interpersonal skills as well as an acute business acumen.
The role is supported by one direct and one indirect report, and benefits from operational input from senior privacy personnel within PPD’s corporate privacy function.
Culture, Career Advancement and Benefits:
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well-being of our employees.
- Builds on the current base, and with strategic direction from VP Global Privacy, seeks to establish a comprehensive privacy program that defines, develops, maintains and implements policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk and ensure the confidentiality of protected personal information, paper and/or electronic, across all media types. Ensures privacy forms, policies, standards, and procedures are up to date.
- Collaborate with the information security manager to ensure alignment between security and privacy compliance programs including policies, practices and investigations. Works with the PPD corporate Privacy, Information Security and Legal functions in managing security incidents and breaches.
- Takes a lead role in ensuring the organization maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consents, authorization forms and information notices.
- Initiates, facilitates and promotes activities to foster information privacy awareness within the organization and related entities. Oversees, develops and delivers privacy training to the workforce.
- Works cooperatively with applicable business units in overseeing patient rights to inspect, amend, and restrict access to protected personal information when appropriate.
- Works closely with company management to ensure that the privacy program is supportive of business objectives, including where access to new data assets are sought.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable international, federal and state privacy laws and regulations.
- Manage staff, which may include interviewing and selection, development, goal setting, performance management, coaching, mentoring, and employee counseling. Approves courses of action on salary administration, hiring, corrective action, and terminations. Reviews and approves time records, expense reports, requests for leave, and overtime.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification. Legal qualifications (JD) preferred.
Extensive knowledge of international, federal and state privacy laws, including but not limited to the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the UK Data Protection Act 2018, the US Telephone Consumer Protection Act, HIPAA and security breach notification regulations.
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 10 years). At least 8 years’ experience within information privacy in a legal or compliance role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad audience including medical, legal and highly specialized technical individuals.
- Excellent ability to assimilate, analyze, report and advise on complex issues.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, creative and pragmatic problem-solving skills.
- Project management skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent organizational skills.
PPD values the health and well-being of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
- Ability to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
- May require minimal as-needed travel (under 10%)
- We have a
strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing
- We are one PPD
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we would love to hear from you.