PPD is a leading global contract research organization. At PPD we are passionate, deliberate, and driven by our purpose - to improve health.
PPD Laboratories offers the most comprehensive set of laboratory services available in the industry and continues to deliver innovative solutions to our clients through our collaborative approach, including PPD® Laboratories FSP. PPD® Laboratories FSP is a unique partnership that allows our clients to leverage the experience of our PPD staff, while allowing you, the employee, to gain direct experience working onsite at a pharmaceutical/ biopharmaceutical company, all while maintaining full-time benefits/advantages of being a part of PPD.
As an Associate Scientist supporting the Pharm Dev Steriles in our client's Pharmaceutical R&D, you will have the opportunity to utilise technical skills and expertise to develop drug product formulations and associated manufacturing processes as part of a matrix technical team. You will also have the opportunity to use creative thinking to drive drug development of a variety of sterile product dosage forms.
- Executes preformulation, formulation and process development activities based on established protocols and procedures.
- Supports pre- and post-development candidates by screening and developing robust drug product compositions for a variety of traditional and non-traditional dosage forms including but not limited to nanosuspensions, hydrogels, emulsions, controlled release implants, and lyophiles.
- Assists in the manufacture of batches of product as required, e.g. for process development, stability studies or clinical trials
- Coordinates his/her activities within Pharmaceutical Development and with analytical and manufacturing representatives to meet project deliverables
- Works with the matrix technical team to align and execute preformulation, formulation and process development activities including authoring or contributing to manufacturing batch records
- Identify and begin to interpret any problems in the execution of experimental processes and/or in results and communicates them to his/her supervisor
- Proactively engage and seek assistance from other scientists to solve problems
- Maintains cleanliness in own work area and in communal work areas
- Anticipates/recognizes potential problems with equipment and/or supplies, and proposes/initiates action to solve or prevent problems
- Operates equipment for which he/she is trained independently with due regard for GMP and Safety
- Works to GMP/GLP as appropriate
- Demonstrates timely & reliable recording of laboratory data in Labware and other suitable systems in accordance with company policy and legal requirements.
- Performs data management tasks including recording results effectively and in compliance with departmental guidelines in a laboratory notebook or computer with minimal supervision (e.g. tabulating and graphing results)
- Consults with supervisor when difficulties arise that cannot be readily resolved
- Prepares oral or written summaries of results with interpretation for project work
- Attends regular safety training and is fully aware of safety requirements for his/her laboratory/working environment
- Follows safe Laboratory and Manufacturing Practices
- Maintains accurate and complete safety records consistent with company policy and legal requirements
- Recognizes potential safety problems and takes action to rectify them
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well-being of our employees.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Pharmeaceutical Sciences, Chemical Engineering, or Organic Chemistry or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 0-1 years) or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technically competent in basic formulation/process development techniques
- Demonstrates competence and experience in proper handling, recording and analysing scientific experimental data
- Has operational knowledge of routine laboratory/plant equipment
- Understands the basic principles, concepts and methodology governing the work performed
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory authority, compendia and ICH guidelines
Ability to understand and independently apply GMPs and /or GLPs to everyday work documentation and instrument use
Ability to utilize Microsoft Excel and Word to perform tasks
Good written and oral communication skills
Time management and project management skills
Problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
Ability to work in a collaborative work environment with a team
PPD values the health and well-being of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
- Able to lift and move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements, including infectious agents, typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
PPD Defining Principles:
We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are gamechangers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD -
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you.