PPD’s mission is to improve health. It starts as an idea to find a cure. It becomes a life saved. All in-between, it’s you! We know that meaningful results not only require the right approach, but also the right people. We invite you to re-imagine health promoting protocols with us, working alongside our talented, bright and energetic teams.
Our Project Delivery team directs, coordinates and manages the technical and operational aspects of projects, securing the successful completion of clinical trials. We collaborate with functional area leads to identify and evaluate fundamental issues on the project and ensure that solutions are implemented.
We have a new vacancy for Executive Director in our Peri and Post Approval Team (Interventional Studies) as Business Optimization Lead.
Responsible for overseeing and executing the department’s business strategy aimed to inform and align with the agreed AOP. Responsible for development of an infrastructure to drive a pro-active business growth strategy and support sustainable business growth. Collaborates with PPD Project Delivery teams to align on Therapeutic Unit business strategies and supplement these with Late Phase strategic insights. Partners with PPAS-INT Project Quality and Finance Management to define, track, and continuously optimize key leading operational performance indicators, optimize the effectiveness of the department and to ensure quality deliverables that meet customer expectations. Provides leadership and coordinates with TU Project Delivery and GCD functional management to ensure proper study conduct. Provides strategic business development support for developing and maintaining strategic relationships with customers.
• Strategically drives change and coordinates
specific actions associated with PPAS-INT strategic growth plan including liaising with
commercial team and cross enterprise functions
• Provide drug development process, strategy, and planning consulting with BioPharma, Biotech and Venture Capital partnerships’ leads and clients/potential clients to optimally position PPAS-INT capabilities
• Maintain an understanding of current and future late phase market trends that may impact current and/or future innovative PPAS-INT business growth and operational delivery strategies
• Assures alignment with PPD Project Delivery teams for current and future late phase market trends regarding possible impact to, or considerations for the business strategies.
• Scan the phase 3b/4 therapeutic and operational landscape and take account of wider impacts to develop long-term implementation strategies that maximize opportunities to add value
• Partner with development operations and biotech portfolio leads to identify opportunities and to increase visibility into key target accounts
• Chair/co-Chair PPAS-INT New Business meetings with key stakeholders. Responsible for focused agenda, communication of expectations to participants, documentation of outcomes, actions, and follow-up
• Support the PPAS-INT Therapeutic Area Leads to leverage and consolidate all available data to build project strategy. Balance use of external research and data within PPD’s internal data sources
• Provides support to the development and execution of the PPAS_INT business strategy, and infrastructure optimization to support innovative clinical trials and to ensure excellence in performance.
• Develops strategic relationships with internal and external customers, and partners with Business Development in retaining clients and in securing new business, specifically in securing new partnerships.
• Partners with PPAS-INT TALs and PPAS-INT Project Quality and Finance Management to define, track, and optimize key leading operational performance indicators to enable a learning culture of continuous improvement
• Prepares and co-ordinates business growth and optimization content and delivers presentations PPAS Leadership
• Collaborates with the PPAS Integrated Solutions Lead to conduct formal analysis of PPAS-INT win/loss metrics and facilitates cross functional meetings to review performance and opportunities to optimize win rate
• Collaborates with the PPAS Project Quality and Finance Management to provide guidance/coaching to achieve PPAS-INT alignment and compliance in adoption and use of all process and technology tools (e.g. PPAS/Preclarus Dashboards, eTMF compliance).
The Executive Director, Project Management is
accountable for establishing and ensuring successful completion of assigned therapeutic area
studies/portfolio/clients through the oversight of relevant resources/functions. Accountable for
achieving overall financial goals (sales/repeat business, revenue and profitability). Works
globally with other groups to develop new and/or support existing business. Collaborates with
leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business
processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and
each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement
opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well being of our
Accountable for establishing and ensuring successful completion of assigned therapeutic area studies/portfolio/clients through the oversight of relevant resources/functions. Accountable for achieving overall financial goals (sales/repeat business, revenue and profitability). Works globally with other groups to develop new and/or support existing business. Collaborates with leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and managed appropriately. Develops and drives the specific and overall therapeutic area strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets. Has overall responsibility for instigating and leading change initiatives within the therapeutic area and works with peers of therapeutic areas in the overall leadership of the Project Management group.
Ensures the timely execution of clinical trials with a focus on quality deliverables and profitability. Responsible for and ensures proactive identification of project risks and potential contingencies impacting time/quality/cost of deliverables are effectively managed and escalated through appropriate escalation pathways. Further assesses all risks for potential impact across multiple projects and any cross therapeutic impact. Reviews and assesses project profitability by holding project team lead accountable for obtaining appropriate sponsor approval for out of scope work before completing the work. Responsible for escalation and proactive approval of appropriate contingencies having financial impacts.
Develops and implements the therapeutic area business plans, forecasting and sales/marketing plans.
Fosters and strengthens client relationships and develops the strategic sell initiative of the division. Strategically evaluates PPD against competitors and makes recommendations to increase PPD’s competitive position.
Provides administrative oversight of the department, including staffing, budgeting, scheduling and long term planning. Provides strategic direction to staff through line management of a team. Accountable for effective recruitment, induction, talent development and retention of staff. Provides ongoing coaching and feedback including formal performance appraisals, development plans and career coaching.
Proactively supports and drives business development activities and seeks to obtain additional contracts which may include making presentations to potential clients and representing PPD at appropriate professional meetings and conferences.
Serves as designated Customers’ “Executive” contact person for all issues. Communicates with sponsor(s) regularly to obtain direction and feedback on implementing scope of work as well as performance to date and identifies areas of opportunity for improvement. Identifies unusual or significant problems encountered during the course of a clinical trial and proposes strategies for preventing or correcting significant problems
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s, masters or higher licensed certified health care training.
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 15 years) or equivalent and relevant combination of education, training, & experience.
- 8 years of leadership responsibility.
- Valid Passport
Years of experience refers to typical years of related experience needed to gain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. Years of experience are not to be used as the only determining factor in establishing the job class or making employment selection decisions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to develops, drive and execute strategic plans through leveraging relationships and influencing others
- Demonstrated track record of success in clinical development and in leading and developing professional staff in a project led environment
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to implement new solutions
- Proven ability to simultaneously and effectively oversee multiple projects and people
- Stakeholder and client management skills; solid negotiator, ability to navigate politicized situations, uses influence and credibility, cultivates collaborative internal/external networks/relationships
- Expertise in budgeting, forecasting and fiscal management
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrates robust judgment, problem solving and decision making. Ability to apply critical and analytical thinking, use data, business acumen and insight to develop effective solutions. Ability to manage complex and ambiguous issues
- Demonstrates executive presence, acts with integrity, shows personal impact and credibility
- Demonstrated leadership and emotional intelligence with the ability to read and manage interpersonal dynamics and apply conflict resolution skills
- Ability to actively develop and harness talent and capabilities within the department, skilled coach and mentor
- Self-aware and open to learning, ability to act as an ambassador for and foster innovation and change, and skilled in process and continual improvement
- Effective marketing and organizational skills. Influential communicator, tailors approach to influence and motivate others
- Expert knowledge of project management principles and application, Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and directives, medical therapeutic area and medical terminology
- Solid computer skills
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD -
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you