PPD’s mission is to improve health. It starts as an idea to find a cure. It becomes a life saved. All in-between, it’s you! We know that meaningful results not only require the right approach, but also the right people. We invite you to re-imagine health promoting protocols with us, working alongside our talented, bright and energetic teams.
Our colleagues in corporate strive for excellence in every task, at every moment. We are game changers seeking improvements to processes and more efficient ways of working or adapting to changing financial and industry environments.
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and wellbeing of our employees.
The Health & Safety Specialist supports all aspects of environmental, health and safety programs. Facilitates a collaborative approach to implementing and maintaining programs with site management. Ensures safe practices and regulatory compliance. May assist with monitoring various metrics, audit readiness or conducting compliance training and inspections. Participates in recommendations for corrective action plans and feasible solutions to new or changed regulations.
Major Job Responsibilities:
• Practices and enforces
good safety practices. Responds to inquiries and provides follow-up to health, safety, and
environmental issues to site management.
• Ensures that all licensing, permitting, or other environmental, health or safety requirements are met and takes appropriate actions to ensure that any non-compliance issues are resolved.
• Maintains up to date knowledge and ensures that procedures meet federal, state, and local requirements (i.e. OSHA, EPA, DOT, etc.) Develops and/or updates all health and safety related mandated procedures for assigned facilities.
• Updates site management on new or changed regulations in a timely manner. Participates in determining recommendations on feasible solutions and alternatives for compliance.
• Ensures safe removal and disposal of hazardous/biological waste from facility on a regular basis. Maintains and monitors waste manifest system. Completes reporting forms and documents for all required regulatory agencies.
• Develops and conducts employee health and safety training programs, including refresher trainings as required by regulations.
• Conducts regular walk-downs and yearly self-assessments of assigned facilities and conducts employee health hazard exposure monitoring to ensure OSHA compliance. Handles all ergonomic related issues. Makes recommendations as appropriate.
• Collaborates with corporate Worker’s Compensation Administrator to supply information on related claims to insurance company. Assists management in conducting work-related injury/illness investigations.
• May lead Health & Safety committees, act as Radiation Safety Officer, maintain controlled substance program, evaluate/maintain all safety equipment, coordinate fire drills and/or work with assigned site on CAP inspections or other audit related inspections (OSHA).
- Works with the Pandemic Committee on site contact tracing and overseeing testing and vaccination processes related to COVID-19.
- Oversees other vaccination and testing requirements for the site.
- Familiarity with College of American Pathologists (CAP) inspection process is recommended.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 2 years).
- Solid knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT, ICAO, and other applicable regulations
- Knowledge of worker's compensation requirements, laboratory and hazardous waste regulations to include hazardous chemical/biohazard storage and disposal regulations
- Good understanding of air monitoring strategies
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to provide effective training
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good judgement and business acumen
- Good computer skills
- Developing professional expertise, applies company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues.
- Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
Supervision/Freedom to Act:
- Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Contacts are primarily internal to the company with infrequent external customer / vendor contact on routine matters. Builds productive internal / external working relationships.
- No management responsibility
PPD values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
- Able to move effectively throughout facility, including lifting and moving objects up to 35-50 pounds
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are gamechangers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD -
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you