PPD’s mission is to improve health. It starts as an idea to find a cure. It becomes a
life saved. All in-between, it’s you! We know that meaningful results not only require the
right approach, but also the right people. We invite you to re-imagine health promoting
protocols with us, working alongside our talented, bright and energetic teams.
Envision a workplace where you have a direct impact on improving health, work alongside expert scientists, use newest technologies and collaborate with industry thought leaders and therapeutic experts. Welcome to PPD® Laboratories, where science is our passion, quality is our commitment and people are the cornerstone of our success.
As an Associate Automation Specialist, you will work with laboratory teams in the Bioanalytical fields to provide preventative maintenance (records keeping and basic troubleshooting) in support of liquid handling systems/automation equipment/ lab robotics and may operate equipment in support of high throughput sample analysis.
Essential Functions and Other Job Information:
- Maintains weekly and monthly maintenance schedule as required for liquid handling workstations with supervision. Additionally, may assist and train laboratory personnel on maintenance activities as required.
- Responsible for performing high-throughput analysis as required on an automated platform, and trains other staff for high throughput analysis.
- Assists in liquid class testing for liquid handling workstations with supervision.
- Assists in implementing new scripts/methods through developmental testing with supervision.
- Executes scientific assays using a variety of technologies/concepts with supervision.
- With supervision, responds to and aids lab personnel in error handling on liquid handling systems.
- Trains in development of liquid handling workstation scripts based off of scientific assay methods.
- Works on problems of limited scope. Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained.
- Learns to use professional concepts. Applies company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in lab sciences or related field
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 1 to 2 years).
In some cases an equivalency, consisting of a combination of appropriate education, training and/or directly related experience, will be considered sufficient for an individual to meet the requirements of the role.
- Experience or training working lab equipment and instrumentation
- Experience with liquid handling equipment and lab automation a plus (such as Hamilton, Tecan, Gyros or similar)
- Proficiently does the following with training: operates analytical instrumentation, calculates and analyzes data, and records data in adherence with PPD SOPs and GLPs
- Knowledge of basic automated platform software use and minor programming a plus
- Knowledge or experience with of high-throughput automated sample analysis organization and structure
- Proficient in weekly and monthly maintenance events for automated liquid handlers
- Proficient in training of other laboratory staff for preventative maintenance activities and/or high throughput automated sample analysis
- Collaborate with team members to support lab operations and meet planned goals and deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks as needed
Work Environment Requirements
PPD values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours
- Able to lift and move objects up to 25 pounds
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities
What To Expect Next
We look forward to receiving your application. A member of our talent acquisition team will review your qualifications and if interested, you will be contacted for an interview.