Performs, reviews, and interprets complex, esoteric, and routine laboratory analyses by manual automated, and / or microscopic means. Performs analysis and evaluates individual and related laboratory data, recognizes patterns or trends that suggest significance of results and determines the level of clinical significance. Authors and modifies SOPs (standard operating procedures), as well as acts as a mentor to newer employees. Interacts regularly with non-laboratory departments and assists with administrative duties as requested by laboratory management.
Essential Functions and Other Job Information:
- reviews, and interprets complex, esoteric, and routine chemical, Hematological, coagulation, renal, lipid, and hormonal analyses by manual, automated, and/or microscopic means.
- analytical results with specific and highly varied clinical trial protocols to evaluate credibility, appropriateness and accuracy of test results in order to Facilitate entry or exclusion of subjects from research programs.
- maintains, troubleshoots and repairs clinical laboratory equipment, including routine preventative maintenance, calibrations, and safety checks. Recognizes and pursues instrument problems and resolutions and independently evaluates and takes appropriate course of action necessary to produce accurate patient information when major instrument problems occur.
- analytical reagents, calibrators, and QC standards to ensure the accuracy of analytical results.
- quality control procedures, evaluates results, and implements corrective action when indicated. Performs ongoing statistical data analysis to detect trends and problems and undertakes corrective action.
- comparison studies for precision, accuracy, and linearity on new or existing Assays or instruments. Assists with design and implementation of new procedures and the modification of existing procedures.
- provides instruction for new employees and students in the theory and practice of laboratory medicine and the interpretation of results. Serves in a mentor to team members, providing guidance and reviewing and checking work
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 2 years’) or equivalent combination of education, training, & experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to retain knowledge in various laboratory units and train new employees
- Ability to adapt to changes in workflow, unusual circumstances, and high pressure and time sensitive environments
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment