PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing comprehensive, integrated drug development, laboratory and lifecycle management services. At PPD, we are passionate, deliberate, and driven by our purpose- to improve health!
About the Department:
In Site and Patient Access, our goal-driven teams combine and deliver startup activities for clinical trials, collaborating to improve processes, cycle and flexibility. We partner with our sites, businesses and colleagues around the world to decrease startup timelines and exceed expectations.
About the Position:
The Site Intelligence and Activation (SIA) STM Associate Director / Director is an oversight role and accountable for the effective delivery of site activation deliverables globally, within the assigned projects. He/she provides strategic direction and creates a high performance culture through leadership, coaching and development to achieve delivery of site activation service targets (ie: cost, quality, time) and the effective development & implementation of systems, processes and policies for the group.
About our Culture, Career Advancement and Benefits:
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well-being of our employees.
Seeking a leader to foster a culture that drives customer focused solutions, personal accountability, and delivery excellence. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Ensures the timely and customer-focused execution of site activation with a focus on quality deliverables for assigned projects
- Supports, develops and drives the specific and overall site activation strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of project plans and targets
- Facilitates site intelligence and activation planning/kick-off meetings to identify potential risks and work with the project team to develop and communicate contingency plans
- Ensures project risks and potential contingencies impacting time/quality/cost of deliverables are discussed with Senior Management through appropriate escalation pathways
- Reviews and assesses SIA team profitability through the identification of “out of scope” activity in a timely manner and supporting follow through on all aspects of contract modification
- Communicates with sponsor(s) regularly to obtain direction and feedback on implementing scope of work as well as performance to date. Identifies unusual or significant problems encountered during the course of a clinical trial and proposes strategies for preventing or correcting significant problems
- Assists in business development activities to obtain additional contracts by reviewing sections of proposals related to site start-up, making presentations to potential clients and representing the location/region at appropriate professional meetings and conferences
- Builds and cultivates productive relationships and internal/external networks of contacts across the global function to facilitate service delivery, client satisfaction and operational effectiveness. Develops and maintains strategic relationships with customers. Collaborates with business leads for business development, alliance management, contracts and proposals development, project management, clinical management, operational personnel, and executive management to achieve project goals.
- Ensures individual project targets are met, client satisfaction, services are provided with the highest quality standards and policies and procedures are followed.
- Contributes change initiatives across Clinical Development and within the SIA department.
Education and Experience:
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 10-12 years).
Proven leadership skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strategic thinking, planning and organization skills
- Ability to analyze data, anticipate and mitigate risk, exercise sound judgment, problem solving and decision-making working under pressure and at times with limited desired information
- Ability to use personal influence and persuasion to effectively promote ideas and proposals to shape stakeholder opinions
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and cultivate strong internal/external networks of contacts and resources to help ensure operational execution
- Acts as an ambassador for change, influences and motivates, demonstrates solid interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective negotiation and problem solving skills
- Demonstrates credible leadership style, with concise, well organized oral and written communication skills and proven ability to mobilize and foster team productivity
- Ability to motivate managers and supervisors to define and reach team objectives
- Expertise in budgeting and resource management
- Maintains a solid understanding of FDA, GCP, and ICH guidelines with a track record of successful operational delivery
- This role may, or may not, have direct reports.
- If so, will supervise the daily operations of a group of normally professional level individual contributors performing the same or similar tasks. Responsible for training and development of subordinate staff, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, assisting subordinates with difficult inquiries or problems, interpreting and ensuring consistent application of organizational policies, and development and implementation of unit policies and procedures. Recommends employees for employment, discipline, termination; initiates and communicates a variety of personnel actions (e.g. performance and salary reviews, promotions, time off requests, timesheet and expense report approvals).
PPD values the health and well being of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
- Ability to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
- May require travel (<20%) as needed.
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you.