PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing comprehensive, integrated drug development, laboratory and lifecycle management services. Our clients and partners include pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, academic and government organizations. With offices in 46 countries and more than 25,000 professionals worldwide, PPD applies innovative technologies, therapeutic expertise and a firm commitment to quality to help clients and partners bend the cost and time curve of drug development and optimize value in delivering life-changing therapies to improve health.
The role serves as a local medical leadership for China and regional medical strategy leader for APAC by delivering strategic value to Biotech/Biopharma clients from an industry-experienced medical and scientific leadership perspective. Provides clinical guidance and consultancy across all phases of development to PPD China GM leadership team and commercial/operational leaders in the APAC region to help create access to new business and build authorizations of PPD services.
In collaboration with internal PPD medical leaders, explicates PPD service offerings to and creates product development solutions for client physicians, CMOs, and/or other key client executives. Uses medical and drug development expertise to drive the business performance of PPD through strategic innovation and support of efficient and effective services and generate measurable positive business outcomes. Is the “face of PPD Medical” in China and the region. Conveys authority and projects a collaborative demeanor to external stakeholders – clients, principle investigators, thought leaders, investors, etc. Understands navigation and the dynamics of the China business and regulatory environment and participates and drives PPD reputation and branding initiatives in the region. Fosters a culture of medical excellence among APAC medical staff and ensures proper representation of the China/APAC medical perspective to global clinical teams.
- Serves as a regional medical strategy leader for Biotech/Biopharma serving and supporting our commercial objectives across all phases of development
- Builds a strong network in the regional Biopharma/Biotech community
- Drives strategic selling and partners with business development to promote clients’ accessing and engaging in peer-to-peer discussion with PPD medical and scientific experts
- Broad remit over all therapeutic areas and interfaces between operations, Global Product Development and Business Development through all phases of development (EDS, GCD, and Evidera)
- Attends and presents at key sponsor meetings, provides medical consultation to clients and internal project team members supporting business development and operational activities
- Supports ongoing studies and works with internal medical and operational leaders to move PPD toward a leadership position in the region and building on the present to become the most attractive provider of a broad range of product development services in the client base
- Mentors and teaches colleagues and key internal stakeholders about existing structures and influences as well as important developments in the region affecting the business
- Provides management & strategic direction to the business operation/corporate functions. Participates with senior leadership in developing and authorizing the implementation of strategic business plans. Provides input to internal stakeholders on relevant medical governance and reputational issues
Education and Experience:
Medical Doctorate or equivalent relevant to drug development or medical specialization required. Suitable clinical experience in drug development (comparable to 10 years). Demonstrates a strong network and connectivity to biotech and pharma market and key stakeholders (CMOs and CSOs of such companies). Experience building and successfully managing customer relationships is critical.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of overall biologic/pharmaceutical product development process from pre-clinical through post-marketing, including all stages of development and all functional roles
- Understands and is able to substantively contribute to internal and client thinking on 1) global development directed toward the region, particularly China, and 2) local development from China and APAC to the US and Europe.
- Capacity to understand product development implications across a broad range of therapeutic areas and platforms – specific experience in Oncology or Advanced therapies is desirable
- Practical knowledge of clinical program and study/trial design, relevant endpoints, safety considerations and current regulatory and commercial landscape
- Commercial acumen and proven ability to establish productive relationships with clients, internal and external stakeholders
- Strong decision-making and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and influencing skills – strong English and Mandarin speaking and writing
- Excellent organizational skills and high integrity leadership approach
- Ability to handle multiple issues on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to act in keeping with PPD values - help our customers deliver life-changing