UK Job Description
About the Team
As part of the global corporate communications team, this role supports the firm’s brand proposition and content strategy. The ideal candidate for this role, which reports to the corporate communications director, will be an adaptable team player, driven to engage with teams locally and globally to execute PR and communications activity. This position places a premium on quality writing.
Working closely with colleagues in the firm’s in-house PR team and the firm’s outside PR agencies to strategically raise the firm’s external profile. With primary responsibility for all PR activity for EMEA and oversight for selected EMEA PR agencies.
- Developing and maintaining strong media contacts with the legal media, regional media and sector trade media for which the role is responsible
- Ensuring entry into relevant awards and survey features (including selection, drafting and entering) for the areas that the role supports
- Proactively identifying media opportunities, drafting and canvassing press releases, pitching story ideas, and working to ensure maximum coverage of stories and the firm’s work
- Communicating the firm’s purpose and vision (such as its innovation proposition). Drafting messaging for media consumption and other channels
- Coaching and advising partners with press enquiries
- Acting as point person for enquiries and delegating them to the PR agency to coordinate response on crisis comms
- Supporting the firm’s D&I, pro bono, and HR initiatives with media outreach and award submissions
- Responsive to ad hoc enquiries of a communications nature, including briefing materials, social media messaging, and other deliverables
- Responsibility for managing the PR executive (based in Leeds), selected EMEA PR agencies and other supplier relationships (i.e. media monitoring)
- Working closely with the firm’s global brand manager and regional marketers on the consideration and PR execution of brand campaigns for the areas and local markets that the PR manager supports.
Reed Smith is a dynamic international law firm dedicated to helping clients move their businesses forward. Our belief is that by delivering smarter and more creative legal services, we will not only enrich our clients' experiences with us, but also support them in achieving their business goals.
Our longstanding relationships, international outlook, and collaborative structure make us the go-to partner for the speedy resolution of complex disputes, transactions, and regulatory matters.
We have more than 1,700 lawyers in 28 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences and healthcare, entertainment and media, energy and natural resources, and shipping.
For further information, please visit:
Key Skills, Attributes and Experience
- Creative and dynamic writer – ability to write for different audiences and in different tones
- Excellent understanding of the legal and trade media
- Creative and critical thinker – can rework an idea into something media friendly, generates ideas for partners/BD who might need some encouragement
- Excellent time management
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure
- Stakeholder management – handling difficult partners, pushing back and being authoritative when necessary
- Good at networking – within the legal PR and journalism industry, as well as internally within the firm
- Ability to work as a team and also independently
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to track analytics and evaluate PR performance
- 5 years of experience in professional services or media environment is preferred
- Some legal knowledge/law firm background is desired but not essential
- Word (advanced level)
- Excel and PowerPoint
- Extensive knowledge of Outlook essential
- Good typing skills
- Proofreading experience.
- Social media
Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
We are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities or long-term health conditions. If you have a disability or a long-term health condition and require adjustments to be made for you within the recruitment process, please contact the Recruitment Team. For more information on our approach to diversity and inclusion please visit our website.