At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world. That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
In the Lead Discovery department in Pharma Research and Early Development we generate molecular insights and drive the discovery of starting points for our Small Molecule Drug Discovery projects with our high quality proteins, cellular models, assays and compound samples. We treat data as our main product, enabling the successful optimisation of these starting points in Medicinal Chemistry.
We are looking for someone to join our team in the Roche Innovation Center Basel to help us drive our strategy to explore new computational approaches relevant for drug discovery, and to grow the digital mindset across the organisation. This is a new role that you will be able to shape.
The broad objective of the position is to define strategies to support rational decision-making, to develop and improve data processes and workflows, and to deliver data-driven insights to drug discovery project teams. Specifically, you will:
- Develop and automate data engineering, statistical, advanced analysis and visualisation solutions, for example to ensure optimal use and continuous improvement of the Roche Compound Collection
- Build solutions to advance the practice of Design of Experiment to optimise the process of assay development, to assess assay performance, and to maximise the value of experimental readouts
- Engage and align cross-functional teams to frame key scientific questions and define strategies to enable rational and data-driven decision-making.
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking to be part of a dynamic and growing organization where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. You are interested in being an essential piece of the drug discovery process and are passionate about applying data science techniques to the biopharmaceutical industry.
- You have a university degree, preferably a PhD, in computer science or a life science discipline with a focus on computational science or data science
- You have experience in computational statistics including statistical learning and machine learning
- You have extensive working experience the state-of-the-art technology stack for data science, such as machine learning tools and packages, R, Shiny, Python toolkits (e.g. pandas, matplotlib, seaborn/plotly, scikit learn), Jupyter notebook, Keras, TensorFlow, Docker
- You are familiar with common pipelining tools such as Pipeline Pilot or Knime
- You are fluent in generating interactive visualisations of data (including, for example, small molecule cheminformatics descriptors and properties, assay and biological data) using established tools such as Spotfire, Vortex, or Tableau
- You are a curious and quick learner, who uses strong analytical and problem solving skills to translate complex thoughts into practical applications
- You have a passion for data, and bring an excellent ability to distill insights from complex data through interactive visualisations, predictive models, or inferential statistics
- You have strong interpersonal skills to effectively influence, lead, advise, or consult experts in a matrix environment to jointly move projects forward
- Your profile is rounded off by having good presentation and communication skills in English
If you are proud of contributing and feel you have the dedication to teamwork and innovation that we are seeking, then Roche is the organization for you. Every role at Roche plays a part in making a difference to patients’ lives. If you want to work in a passionate team, make your mark & improve lives, apply now.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you have questions, please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Research