Genentech is expanding its Personalized Healthcare (PHC) Business by investing in digital health tools that inform and tailor clinical decision-making by generating or using real world data, including sensor-based measures (e.g. via a smartphone, wearables or other sensors and connected devices) and digital tools to integrate data into care.
As a Contracts Manager/Senior Contracts Manager you are part of Roche Global Procurement and you will be a member of the Risk, Contracts & Compliance team in the Research & Development Contracts group focusing on supporting our internal business partners in a wide variety of complex R&D/PHC Contracts. These may include very complex research collaboration agreements with academic institutions, managed care systems as well as emerging technology companies in support of Personalized Healthcare. In addition, you may support clinical trial agreements, other types of research collaboration agreements, vendor agreements, research services agreements, material/data transfer agreements, investigator initiated study agreements and equipment loan agreements. As a Contracts Manager, you will draft, review, negotiate and finalize all agreements in compliance with all laws, regulation and Roche policies. In this position, you will partner closely with key stakeholders in the business.
Global Procurement is a key function that delivers value to Roche by leveraging market knowledge, subject matter expertise and business insights in the procurement of goods and services and the management of Roche’s third party spend. Through collaboration with our external suppliers and internal business partners, Global Procurement helps bring innovative tests and medicines to patients.
RDC is a member of Risk, Contracts and Compliance within Global Procurement. RDC provides clinical contracting expertise and solutions to support Roche and Genentech research and development organizations. RDC is a team of contract experts possessing extensive industry and legal experience to enable RDC to effectively deliver on business partner goals. RDC supports internal business partners by helping to navigate and manage the contracting process with Healthcare Providers (HCP’s), vendors, and academic and research Institutions around the world by providing contracting expertise and solutions. RDC is responsible for advising in pre-contract discussions (including Fair Market Valuation), drafting, negotiating, and facilitating the executing of contracts, all while ensuring regulatory compliance and mitigating legal risk.
The PHC Contracts Manager will support the Research & Development Contracts sub-team in the Risk, Contracts & Compliance team. This position will primarily support Personalized Healthcare initiatives in connection with issues related to research and development of innovation of Digital Health products, medical devices, related pharmaceutical products. The Contract Manager is accountable for aspects of the end-to-end R&D contract process operations (including contract request validation, drafting, negotiation of legal and financial terms, quality control, legal approval, execution into repository, template development and maintenance), contract process health monitoring and improvement, data & reporting for budget, resourcing and delivery against customer and/or stakeholder Service Level Agreements (SLAs). In day to day operations time and effort is required to manage a moderate number of cross-divisional global, regional and local procurement stakeholders. Additionally, time and effort is required to work with a broad range of functional stakeholders.
Your responsibilities and Core accountabilities:
- Complex Contract Drafting - Proven ability to draft contractual provisions based on strategy discussions, stakeholder input, and organizational needs and expectations. Base templates may be available but it is anticipated that much of the drafting will be from scratch.
- Negotiations - Demonstrate mastery in the field, expert negotiation and/or influencing skills to negotiate the best contract terms (including intellectual property terms) for Genentech/Roche taking into consideration risk exposure and risk tolerance that are compliant, within policies and within delegation of authority from Legal.
- Collaboration and Transparency - Work closely with business partners to understand and proactively and strategically plan for business needs. Maintain clear, concise and appropriate communication, with all stakeholders (internal and external), throughout the contracting process to ensure sufficient transparency.
- Legal and Compliance - Discuss and clearly explain complex terms and conditions. Guide other professionals and advise or influence senior business partners. Obtain and maintain extensive delegation of authority from Legal/Law to approve most clauses. Demonstrate expert knowledge of legal, compliance and/or 3rd party risk management concepts (as applicable) including ability to identify functional area specific risks (e.g. privacy, anti kickback, Fair Market Value, GCP/cGMP, insurance, EHS/SHE, government pricing, PhRMA Code of Conduct, Product Complaint, Sunshine Act, DSCSA, etc.).
- Decision-making – Function as Legal Subject Matter Expert/Senior Legal Leads in R&D Contract, supporting legal escalation from Sourcing/Category Managers or Functional Service Providers. Directs others in application of risk tolerance and decision-making strategy in accordance with authority delegated by applicable Legal entity and R&D Contracts Head.
- Actively partner with members of the organization to implement efficient contract process for R&D Contracts.
- May manage the performance of Functional Service Provider to ensure deliverable and contracts quality. Drive documentation and knowledge sharing – Capture and make accessible relevant contracting service offering documentation and communicate through established stakeholder communities. Work closely with relevant Category and Region teams to ensure alignment. Provide content input and delivery support for process specific training
- Manage special projects (and other duties as assigned) as necessary, independently determine method and procedures on new assignments.
- BS/BA degree (general business, legal, finance, science or related discipline) or equivalent education plus experience.
- Advanced degree JD, PhD,or MBA is preferred
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience
- At least 5 years of direct contract experience in pharmaceutical/biotech and university setting.
- Advanced understanding of legal issues, including but not limited to, intellectual property, indemnity, and confidentiality issues with increased delegation of authority
- Strong contract drafting and negotiating skills.
- Deep experience of and insights into digital health market, including in areas such as health apps, health informatics, digital therapeutics, and clinical decision support software tools software as a medical device
- Demonstrated customer service skills in a fast-paced, dynamic and intellectually challenging work environment. Proven ability to build and maintain effective internal and external partnerships.
- Team player with demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective working relationships throughout all levels of the organization.
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding objectives and goals.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Procurement, Procurement > Procurement Contracting