Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Professional II
2nd Shift: (Typical hours are 1:00pm- 9:00pm)
Functions as a Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) Business Partner for assigned business function (e.g. Manufacturing,
Facilities, R&D, Supply Chain, etc.). In addition, will fulfill site-wide to multi-site responsibilities for assigned program area ownership. Evaluates, develops, implements, and maintains SHE policies, procedures, and programs to ensure compliance with all local, city, state, and federal laws and regulations and with company SHE guidelines, requirements, and initiatives within assigned areas of accountability. Duties are diverse and complex often involving research, analysis and solution development. Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of a particular field or business function. Plans, conducts and oversees work involving large and important/complex projects. Provides direction and guidance on issues related to areas of expertise to department leadership, business functions and /or SHE staff members.
- Proposes, plans, organizes, executes and maintains the quality of various SHE protection programs as assigned, including but not limited to: biosafety, chemical safety (employee protection, hazard communication, spills, waste, etc..), physical safety (e.g., ergonomics, noise, lasers, radiation, etc..), environmental (eg., chemical and solid waste management, key figures, permits, sustainability, etc…), and industrial hygiene.
- Monitors workplace health and safety risks, and advises employees and managers on how to minimize or eliminate these risks.
- Performs incident investigations to prevent recurrence of similar events. Tracks resolution of issues.
- Communicates SHE issues and programs to various levels of management by the development of data, graphs, reports, and/or presentations related to areas of expertise and assigned program areas.
- Leads and/or participates in the effective performance of broad risk assessments to minimize SHE related risk to products and/or the organization.
- Participates in emergency planning and emergency teams. Responds to emergency situations as needed.
- Facilitates site SHE teams/ committees and participates in cross-functional teams and/or meetings.
- Develops, implements, and conducts formal campus wide SHE inspections and audits.
- Develops and administers SHE related training and communication programs.
- Supports SHE management with projects or activities as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Formal Training/ Education
- Bachelors Degree: a major in a physical science, life science, environmental sciences, engineering, safety, industrial hygiene, or other relevant field.
Will work towards completion of applicable certification such as: Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM).
3 to 7 years of experience within an industry such as: automobile, diagnostics, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas industry, or other relevant industries
- Masters Degree
- 7 Years of experience within the industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skill or Ability
- Ability to identify, learn, develop, implement, and sustain new areas of subject matter expertise as business needs change.
- Knowledge, interpretation, and application of laws and regulation and the ability to identify issues and make sound decisions under conditions of risk and uncertainty.
- Effective negotiation, written and oral communication skills, active listening skills, and ability to effectively communicate scientific, technical, and regulatory information.
- Ability to develop effective training material and to communicate technical detailed information in an interesting and informative manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: written (business e-mail, technical documents, programs) and verbal (meeting leading, presentation, and training).
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills necessary to develop and maintain smooth, cooperative working relationships and to drive change across business areas.
- Ability to share ideas and expertise across multiple business functions.
- Ability to implement change when necessary without direction and seek opportunities to advise andtrain others on technical knowledge.
- Ability to lead internal committees or sit on committees that implement decisions that affect the ability to produce or sell products.
- Ability to present regulatory or technical information in clear reports, give highly technical presentations
- and communicate effectively across the site at all levels to share technical knowledge.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in Google Docs, Gmail, Gdrive, Microsoft Office Suite.
- As Needed - Based on business needs
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Safety Health and Environment & Facility Services, Safety Health and Environment & Facility Services > Safety Health and Environment