Roche Diagnostics has created a new business - Digital Health Solutions (DHS) - that is charged with building a portfolio of digital health applications. DHS works in partnership with the Roche Pharma Personalized Healthcare organization to transform patients’ lives by delivering care tailored to the individual, thereby helping to prevent, diagnose and treat patients more effectively and quickly. Our challenge is to bring together complex diagnostic and treatment data to intelligently process and present this data to healthcare professionals which allow for improved patient care.
The Senior Software Engineering Manager (Data and Analytics) will be a critical role to ensure the success of our vision to improve patient outcomes. Under the direction of the Head of Engineering, Digital Health Solutions, the senior software engineering manager will develop product strategy and roadmap of SaMD products in the portfolio in partnership with Roche Pharma Personalized Healthcare organization. This position will be responsible for the development of the data and backend components within our Digital Health product portfolio. They will work with product managers, UX researchers, and engineers (local and remote) to deliver on the product’s vision. This role is accountable for the end-to-end software delivery of the DHS products, including Design, Build, and Operational responsibility.
We are looking for candidates with exceptional leadership skills, high EQ, and the ability to inspire large engineering teams by clearly articulating a vision. Plus, a high ‘get-it’ factor, with the ability to quickly take complex problems and distill into concrete actions.
The Senior Manager, Software Engineering (Data and Analytics) is a key leadership role on the DHS Engineering team. This role bridges between data science researchers in the Pharma organization and product development engineers in the Digital Health Solutions organization to implement and “productize” algorithms developed by research teams. This requires a strong background in data science and the ability to map research algorithms into a commercial product architecture, considering performance, cost, technology selection, robustness, data integration standards, and other systems-engineering and data-engineering considerations. It includes ownership of the backend layer of the software and data stack, including the backend micro services to help run the mobile digital health products, and a data science workbench backed by a ‘big data’ foundation. This is a people management role which requires the ability to hire and grow top engineering talent. Strong hands-on experience with ETL data pipeline implementations is a must.
The role also requires strong communication inside and outside of engineering, working closely with customers and internal stakeholders, including data science groups across Roche, and the product teams. A healthcare background with experience in integrating healthcare IT systems and working with doctors is nice to have; an interest and enthusiasm to work in healthcare is critical.
What you’ll be doing….
- Software Delivery: this is a hands-on management position and you will be expected to lead the team to design and deliver software components, with the skills needed to understand and lead the design of the software, and to write code when needed
- People Management: as a people manager, you’ll be responsible for hiring, growing and motivating engineers on your team, ensuring you recruit and retain top talent
- Best Practices: lead the team to deliver on their commitments, ensuring the design and planning is accurate and work is delivered on time with quality; drive best practices in Agile and Software Delivery
- Leadership: leads the team when they’re stuck on a difficult problem by finding practical, creative solutions; mentor and develop the team on technical concepts; ensures a culture that values technical excellence together with support and compassion for individuals
Your background and skills….
- Have successfully built, deployed, and supported enterprise-scale software (in a management role)
- Recent Hands-on software development experience in either Java or C++/C# with expertise in at least one
- Strong experience with large-scale, high-throughput data applications, including experience with big data technology like Kafka and Spark (or equivalent)
- Strong experience in developing highly available and scalable services using event-driven reactive architecture to provide a real time services and ML models (experience with Vertx is a plus)
- Experience with Web services and API development on enterprise platforms - Experience in developing GraphQL APIs is a clear plus
- In-depth knowledge of software development processes and their maintenance (such as continuous integration, test automation, etc.)
- Strong foundation in Digital Health models
- Strong foundation in machine learning, with experience building ML models
- High ‘Get-it’ factor - a quick learner with the ability to understand complex problems and develop and deliver innovative solutions
- Strong product sensibility, with the ability to translate customer needs into pragmatic solutions
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to explain complex technical problems to non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to navigate complex corporate environments and influence stakeholders and partners
- Experience in healthcare is not required, but familiarity with healthcare systems and data and workflows is a plus (e.g. HL7, IHE, FHIR)
- BS degree or equivalent in a directly related discipline (CS, Eng, etc.)
- 8 - 12+ years of software engineering experience, with 3+ years of prior management experience preferred
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Devices, Systems and Solutions