Title: Biostatistician - Personalized Healthcare and Clinical Development (Level 2 or Level 3)
Location: Mississauga Head Office
At Roche, we believe every employee makes a difference. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives. We are fearless in both decision and action; we believe that good business means a better world.
Statistical Scientist / Biostatistician - Personalized Healthcare and Clinical Development
Roche Canada Biostatistics team seeks talented and self-motivated statisticians to support Personalized Health Care (PHC) projects and clinical development activities projects in Oncology. Our statisticians work as full members and key partners of multi-disciplinary teams to provide statistical, strategic and analytical leadership. We combine our expertise in data science with our business knowledge to define and solve the right problems and to provide strategic input to maximize business impact. Teamwork and effective communication are essential. Candidates should be experienced in data analysis and expect to pursue projects involving molecular and imaging data for clinical development. Experience in the areas of machine learning including deep learning, bioinformatics and computational biology is highly valued.
The Statistician divides their time between molecule and non-molecule projects. For non-molecule projects, they are expected to have expertise and interest in a variety of data types including in genomics, imaging, and digital health data or related fields to support clinical development and personalized health care activities, including collaboration with research and biomarker scientists, computational biologists and computer scientists. For molecule projects, they will partner with senior scientists in biostatistics, clinical, safety, epidemiology, regulatory, research, and manufacturing on clinical development projects, research applications, development science applications, and/or product manufacturing applications. This typically includes partnering with senior scientists in the creation of strategies to address drug development needs and designing experiments, and evaluating and preparing study results for health authorities and the medical/research community. The Statistical Scientist typically is the lead Biostatistics representative on cross-functional development, clinical and execution teams.
- Serves as Biostatistics representative on clinical development teams, partners with cross-functional members and provides statistical and strategic input on clinical development plans.
- Looks beyond the statistical aspects, collaborating actively to promote rigor in the planning, conduct, analysis, interpretation and reporting of clinical and nonclinical experiments to meet project objectives, including clinical pharmacology trials and exploratory project activities such as biomarkers and PK/PD analysis.
- Provides strategic and analytic support for internal review and decision making.
- Collaborates with research, biomarker and computational scientists on personalized health care projects including in support of clinical development projects, disease areas and presentations/publications.
- Generates evidence using diverse data sources and appropriate analyses techniques
- Consults and provides statistical training to key stakeholders.
- Understand and apply business requirements and processes. Participates in functional training.
- Keep abreast of new developments in statistics, drug development, and regulatory guidance through literature review, conference attendance, etc.
- Contributes to the biostatistics/scientific community by partnering with senior staff, mentoring junior colleagues, and participating in internal/external initiatives.
Job Qualifications: (Job level will be matched according to candidate’s experiences.)
- Ph.D. or MSc in statistics, biostatistics, computer science or related fields
- Good knowledge of theoretical and applied statistics including methods in advanced analytics such as machine learning
- Very good knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to drug development
- Good understanding of regulatory guidelines in a pharmaceutical research setting
- Understands and applies business requirements and processes
- Understands and respects cultural differences when interacting with colleagues in the global work place
- Accomplishes responsibilities with little supervision
- Effective Communication and Collaboration Skills (including statistical consulting skills, interpersonal skills to contribute effectively in cross-functional team settings, ability to influence others without authority, ability to build strong collaborative relationships with scientific and non-scientific partners)
- Good Project management skills (including ability to manage scope and effectively delegate to other functions, staff, contractors and external vendors)
- Good Strategic Agility (including problem-solving and critical thinking skills, ability to drive drug development strategies, agility that extends beyond statistical aspects)
- Evident Drive for Results (Demonstrates interest and ability to learn new things, takes initiative, welcomes problems as challenges; finds solutions to technical problems)
- Effective mentoring other statisticians
- Experience with all data types including high dimensional data
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit cover letter and resume no later than December 12, 2019.
This position is not eligible for relocation support.
This position is open to applicants legally authorized to work in Canada.
NOTE: All employment is conditional upon the completing and obtaining a satisfactory background check, including educational, employment, references and criminal records (for which a pardon has not been granted) checks.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon any legally protected ground. Roche will make a good faith effort to accommodate the individual needs of applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process
AGENCY NOTICE: Please note that Roche Canada does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Services Agreement with agency/recruiter, Roche Canada will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Roche Canada explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Biometrics