This position reports into the Head Supply Chain Region, Asia Pacific, China, MEA, CEETRIS and is accountable for leading a supply chain function, including Planning, that ensures the continuous supply of products to patients in China today and into the future in a manner that is both effective and efficient for Roche.
Key metrics that this leader will be measured against are forecast accuracy and bias, inventory of finished goods, stock outs and backlogs, launch metrics and timelines, as well as key employee engagement metrics from organizational surveys and other sources. These metrics will assess the individual’s success in solving complex problems such as: how much safety stock should we maintain for key products while simultaneously reducing our inventory overall? How much demand should we predict for the launch of a new product that will ensure access to medicine despite uncertainty? How do we align with key manufacturing sites to better predict supplier variability in order to improve our confidence in committed supply plans? How do we navigate a major quality failure, leading to a stock-out of a key product which could last for several weeks? These questions must be answered on behalf of the China supply chain on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis, and the context for these decisions impacts our sales. If one of these decisions is made incorrectly, we risk stocking out of life-saving medicines for China which could put patients at risk and also lead to significant lost sales over just a few days.
In order to accomplish this overall objective and achieve these targets, this individual will be responsible for the following major activities:
Driving Strategy and Innovation with a View to the Future: This person must generate a view of the future of the China business, determine how the China Supply Chain team can effectively function in the midst of future scenarios, and design and plan a resulting strategy to address key issues such as biosimilar entry, market access, policy changes, network capacity constraints, and any other disruptions or events that could impact our ability to supply product to patients. This person must drive innovation within their organization and across Roche manufacturing and the affiliates to deliver on this strategy including localization options and distribution or channel strategy.
Building and Maintaining Strong Business and Process Acumen in both PT and Commercial: This individual will be expected to be fully knowledgeable about and experienced in key PT processes and systems in order to drive continuous improvement of processes, coach/support their team, and build fluency in the Commercial businesses (e.g., key forecast drivers, key market events) in order to connect key business events and data points to understand the future direction and requirements of the enterprise as a whole.
Deliver Results for the Business on a Daily/Monthly Basis: This individual is accountable for driving the monthly sales and operations process and the monthly demand planning cycle and replenishment plan/execution for finished goods for China. This will entail interpreting the portfolio results of the monthly forecasts to drive business results, develop and deciding upon over-arching strategies to resolve patterns of issues, ensuring planning parameter accuracy in APO, holding responsibility for data change control, and identifying ways to improve the business overall. This person must also decide upon appropriate service level agreements, make the final decisions related to key stock level requirements, considering demand and supply variability, expiration management, flow of funds, and other key technical points of importance for the portfolio.
Leading and Managing a Group of Direct/Indirect Reports: This individual manages a team of 2 Demand Planners, but also support a team of forecasters and replenishment coordinators in the affiliate. Jointly, this team holds accountability to deliver specific demand and replenishment plans, to lead Supply Issue Management Teams and Launch Teams when required, to participate on Product Supply Chain Teams to drive supply chain strategy, and to represent China on the ground across all planning processes. As such, the leader of this team must be effective in coaching and developing these individuals, knowledgeable on how to dive into the details and yet delegate work effectively, ensure the career development and progress of the team, drive culture and engagement, and provide political cover in moments of uncertainty.
Building Relationships and Collaborating Across the Company: This individual will partner with the Head of Supply Chain Region to build and maintain relationships with Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents and director-level personnel across the enterprise. These relationships include the China Commercial enterprise, with a focus on Forecasting and Business Analysis, Channel Operations and franchise heads and their brand teams, with the Product Supply Chain Advisory board, Technical Product Leaders and Business Process Owners, and with manufacturing site heads and their leadership teams, PT Quality, Regulatory and Strategy. These relationships will be critical in order to influence critical decisions related to S&OP forecast and inventory level decisions, preparations for launches and competitive entrants (including biosimilars), supply decisions, supply chain design and capacity priorities, and to represent and drive China’s interests in product and network strategy, resource allocation and relevant committee decision-making. Finally, these relationships will allow this individual to share and implement best practices globally.
Holding an Enterprise Mindset: As a senior supply chain leader, this person must bring a mindset of “enterprise ownership” to this role, contributing to the broader culture of PT, contributing to key global processes, providing peer coaching and support to other members of the LT, and demonstrating a desire to further what is best for Roche and PT over their own personal objectives. They, like their peers, will hold key decisions related to personnel, culture, finance, investments and other topics relevant to the broader PT organization as their contribution to the community overall.
A desirable candidate would bring:
- Proven strategic agility (the ability to “connect the dots” and generate business plans for the future) and a solid background of consistently delivering high-impact results for the business, our patients, and our people
- Strong decision-making skills in the face of limited information and limited time
- Proven team leadership skills across a matrix organization as demonstrated through previous experience of building and developing high performance, diverse, cross-functional teams
- Ability to influence and work well with executive-level management and senior-level peers in a proactive and constructive manner. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written with all levels of the organization.
- Evidence of commitment to the larger enterprise (outside of self and immediate team)
- An independent self-starter with the ability to establish and lead teams to achieve high-level strategic goals, resolve supply chain challenges or implement improvements
- Experience leading innovation and change, as well as a background leading large cross-functional initiatives
- Ability to manage multiple demands and commitment to meet deadlines and budget commitments consistently
- Business acumen and financial understanding. Able to use information to influence improvement in both performance and process.
- Superior analytical problem solving skills with an ability to anticipate both strategic and operational issues and recommend solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Advanced degree including MBA or Life Sciences preferred
- Fluent in English and Chinese.
- End to end supply chain experience is preferred but candidate should have a minimum of 15+ years of experience in Healthcare/Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry, including experience in manufacturing and supply.
- Strong familiarity with ERP, supply chain systems, and the Lean Production System. Specific experience with SAP preferred
- APICS Certification preferred.
Appointment to this position will be on local China salary and benefits package.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Supply Chain, Supply Chain > Supply Chain Systems & Development