Marvel has a rare opening for a transactional lawyer with at least 2-4 years of relevant experience to support Marvel’s interactive games, new media and digital business endeavors, which include Marvel-branded websites and mobile apps, mobile and console interactive games, social media channels, and production and distribution of original short- and longer-form audiovisual and audio-only content for Marvel new media channels.
Responsibilities:The position will involve working on a wide variety of transactions, including:
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating:
- License and sublicense agreements
- Development and publishing agreements
- Vendor and consultant agreements
- Production services agreements
- Location and rental agreements
- Talent agreements, releases and waivers
- Nondisclosure agreements
- IT agreements, including software, cloud-based, and services agreements
- Reviewing and clearing audiovisual and audio-only content, marketing materials, press releases, sweepstakes/contests/giveaways, promotions, sponsorships, & other creative assets.
- Overseeing the compliance of Marvel’s data collection and privacy practices across the company’s services, websites, apps, social media and other platforms with domestic and international laws and regulations (e.g., CCPA, COPPA, GDPR).
- Advising business and creative clients on advertising materials and commercial messaging to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and voluntary industry guidelines, including CAN-SPAM, CASL, FTC guidelines, CARU guidelines.
- Counseling clients on day-to-day production issues, including rights clearance, music-related issues, name/likeness releases, and sponsorship integrations.
- Collaborate closely with the legal team, business clients, other business areas (including Finance, IT, Brand), and colleagues across The Walt Disney Company.
Basic Qualifications:Outstanding academic credentials, strong speaking and writing skills, great personality and interpersonal skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collegial, in-house environment are all required.
Must have interest in and knowledge of domestic and international laws and regulations governing digital media, including intellectual property law (e.g., copyright and trademark), guild/labor issues, privacy, FTC regulations, data collection and data breaches, accessibility law, advertising and marketing law, and social media legal issues. The ideal candidate will have a passion for and deep understanding of digital media, video games, AR/VR, mobile technologies, and emerging business models.
Must have a J.D. and admission to New York State Bar.
Make sure to include a cover letter with your resume.
Additional Information:Please make sure to include a cover letter with your resume.