Job Summary:Primary Location: Santa Monica
Alternate Locations: Seattle and NYC
There is a new Data Platforms team within Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) that is focused on building a culture around drive, passion, and innovation for using data to advance the Walt Disney Company business and its products for consumers. The team works with data from many of the company’s business segments and streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.
At DMED, data is imperative to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The data engineering team is responsible for collecting, analyzing and distributing data using public cloud and open-source technologies and offering transparency into customer behavior and business performance.
Our data team is seeking a passionate Senior Software Developer in Test who will be an outstanding addition to our Quality Team. As a Senior Software Developer focused on test automation, you will help validate our next-generation data analytics platform utilizing the most advanced data technologies. You should be willing to go to the depths to tackle complex problems and have the curiosity to explore and learn new technologies for innovative solutions.
Are you someone who enjoys answering difficult data questions, passionate about near real time data processing and enjoys the play hard/work hard environment? If so, then this is a great role for you!
- Participate in the full lifecycle of software development and provide quality throughout the process (requirements gathering, test design, test execution, maintenance, and support)
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality and innovation
- Own the quality of every release into production with a data-driven approach
- Build automated and reusable tests for data components to improve quality and development velocity
- Diagnose issues, report defects, and propose regression tests to catch recurring bugs
- Work with other teams, evangelize the test platform, best-practices, data driven decisions, identify new use cases and features and drive adoption
- Coach Test Engineers best practices and technical concepts of validating large scale data platforms
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in Data Quality as SDET or SDE validating ETL pipelines and Data Warehouses
- Strong programming (Scala/Java) and scripting skills (Python)
- Experience with automation frameworks such as JUnit/TestNG or similar tools
- 3-5 years’ experience working with cloud-based data solutions (AWS, GCP, Azure) and familiar with tools such as CloudFormation, Kinesis, ECS, S3 (or equivalent)
- 3-5 years’ experience working with big-data solutions using technologies like Databricks, EMR, and Spark, Airflow, Hive, Snowflake.
- Expert SQL knowledge
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using tools such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Storm, or Flink
- In-depth understanding of data partitioning
- Experience loading and querying cloud-hosted databases such as Redshift and Snowflake for test purposes
- Experience with RDBMS, key/value stores, distributed database solutions
- Experience in working with large datasets (Terabytes or more)
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of end users and technical resources
- Previous experience taking ownership of validating features/functionality and certifying projects end-to-end with high quality.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.