About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
WSP has a large, highly experienced and friendly Ecology team who get involved with a diverse range of interesting projects across a number of sectors within the UK for both private and public sector clients. In addition to working on UK projects, there are also opportunities to work internationally if desired.
The team pride themselves on the integrated support offered by working alongside our in-house water, landscape, arboriculture and sustainability specialists to deliver commercially balanced, innovative and integrated solutions.
We are looking to appoint a Principal Grade Ecologist into our Cambridge team to support the growing workload.
A typical week would include:
- Planning, managing and undertaking a range of habitat and protected species surveys.
- Preparation of tenders and over-seeing the delivery and management of a range of ecological deliverables in support of our client's projects including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecology Chapters and Reports to support Habitats Regulation Assessments.
- Working with our Cambridge and London team leaders in assuring quality of output and training and mentoring junior staff.
- Playing a key role within a growing ecology team, helping to nurture an enthusiastic, supportive and productive working environment.
We'd love to hear from you if have:
- Experience across a range of UK habitats and protected species and will hold (or have held) survey and mitigation licences
- Experience of delivering Ecological/Environmental Clerk of Works roles.
- A proven record of supporting clients through devising and delivering survey programmes, developing pragmatic, cost-effective mitigation and gaining the agreement of regulators.
- Experience of Ecological Impact Assessment and writing Environmental Statement chapters.
- Full Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (support is provided in becoming Chartered).
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.#LGBT+Jobs