Driving progress through partnership
Reed Smith is a global law firm with more than 1,700+ lawyers in 30 offices throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States.
Operating as one global partnership, we represent leading international businesses from FTSE 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises; advising clients on cross-border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation. We specialise in industries including financial services, life sciences, healthcare, energy and natural resources, advertising, technology and media, shipping and real estate.
We all share a common culture, with core values supporting the firm’s commitment to add value, achieve excellence, and promote professional development.
CareeRS is Reed Smith’s firmwide, competency-based career development program. It is designed to ensure that the firm provides the best legal representation to its clients, while at the same time providing our lawyers and staff with the transparency, development opportunities, feedback and support they need to help them achieve their individual career goals at Reed Smith.
Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are central to our business. The talent pool is changing rapidly and we are determined to attract candidates from the widest pool possible, to continue to be competitive and to ensure the very best service for our clients. We see differences as a strength and we work hard to ensure a fair and inclusive environment for all, where the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of individuals are valued.
We run a number of programmes focused on all aspects of diversity and inclusion, including: race and ethnicity, disability, social mobility, gender equality and the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
LGBT and our PRISM Network
Reed Smith prides itself on being an open and inclusive place for all LGBTQ+ individuals to work and provides a friendly, supportive and respectful environment for all of its employees.
Our LGBT network in the UK, PRISM, acts as a great forum to socialise and network within Reed Smith and with the wider LGBTQ+ community. PRISM organises a range of events and initiatives every year that support our LGBTQ+ personnel, including community involvement, inclusive training opportunities and advocacy within and outside of our firm.
PRISM and Reed Smith proudly sponsor and support many LGBTQ+ organisations, networks and events, including;
• Out Leadership, a global LGBTQ+ network that works to prioritise LGBTQ+ inclusion and equality throughout the business world.
• myGwork, a business community and network for LGBTQ+ professionals. Reed Smith are delighted to be a Gold sponsor of myGwork who we work closely with on many exciting events and campaigns.
• Diversity Role Models, an organisation that facilitates student workshops where members of the LGBTQ+ community and ally role models speak to students about their experiences within the LGBTQ+ community.
• Aspiring Solicitors’ 2021 AS Pride Event. Aspiring Solicitors works to increase diversity within the legal industry.
• The Hong Kong Gay and Lesbian Attorneys Network, which is dedicated to promoting LGBTQ+ diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and fighting for marriage equality in Hong Kong.
• National Student Pride, the UK’s largest LGBTQ+ student event focused on developing skills and kickstarting careers for LGBTQ+ youth.
• Warwick PLAN, a University Society committed to the personal and professional development of LGBTQ+ students, winning Bright Network’s DE&I Society of the Year 2021.
Events in 2021:
We were a proud partner with myGwork’s global five-day virtual Pride conference, ‘Work Pride’.
• Partner Gautam Bhattacharyya spoke on a panel titled ‘The how and why to becoming an executive ally’.
• Director of client development Deven Vyas featured on a focus panel on LGBTQ+ issues within the legal industry.
• Responsible business manager EMEA Carole Mehigan was a speaker on a panel titled ‘The continued benefits of having mental health first aiders in your business’.
We also held educational and supportive events for PRISM members including:
• A mental health movie night featuring a discussion of the movie “Moonlight”.
• A prideful parenting seminar hosted by firm partner Kunik.
• An LGBTQ+ aging seminar featuring Jerry Chasen, a representative from SAGE, an organisation that advocates and provides services for LGBTQ+ elders.
• Three fireside chat speaker series events with partner Alan York, and Todd Sears and Fabrice Houdart from Out Leadership, to discuss allyship and the ongoing LGBTQ+ rights movement
Ambitious and entrepreneurial graduates are rewarded at Reed Smith with a training programme that is supportive, challenging and exciting, offering unparalleled client and international secondments. Our unique culture, which allows trainees to turn passions into careers, is one of the reasons our lawyers remain with us for such a long time, moving seats, jobs roles and even countries, but sticking with the firm.
"Diversity and inclusion are central to our business. The talent pool is changing rapidly and we are determined to attract candidates from the widest pool possible, to continue to be competitive and to ensure the very best service for our clients. We see differences as a strength and we work hard to ensure a fair and inclusive environment for all, where the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of individuals are valued. We run a number of programmes focused on all aspects of diversity and inclusion, including race and ethnicity, disability, social mobility, gender equality and the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community."