Travers Smith is committed to creating a fully inclusive workplace where LGBT+ people can be authentic and reach their full potential.
We value and respect individual differences, and not just in relation to gender, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation and faith, but also in terms of background, education, working style and family or care responsibilities. As well as being the right thing to do, it also enables us to be a more intelligent business and enables us to meet the diverse needs of our clients and communities.
Over the past year, we have led a series of initiatives aimed at promoting LGBT+ inclusion at work and in the wider community. Some highlights include:
· Launching the second year of our innovative mentoring programme in partnership with Just Like Us, which is aimed at enabling students to enter the workplace as future LGBT+ leaders, who are confident in their identity and are openly LGBT+
· Ran an awareness raising session for all staff on intersectionality and LGBT+ identities
· Delivered a seminar in partnership with The Law Society on "Trans* Visibility in Law"
· Championed the development of more LGBT+ inclusive workplace policies - most recently, leading a review of the firm's trans-inclusivity - and driving positive change for trans/non binary people (including a revised dress code)
· Rolled out a Rainbow Laces campaign to encourage people, both within and outside the firm, to "lace up for equality" and signal their support for LGBT+ inclusion
· Provide significant pro bono legal advice for LGBT+ organisations, including Stonewall, Just Like Us and Series Q
· Sponsored Pride themed firm-wide drinks in collaboration with the firm's four network groups (LGBT+, Gender Balance, BAME, and Faith) to promote greater inclusion on an intersectional basis
Led the creation of a Pride themed Travers Smith logo on our external site, the first City firm to do so
In January 2018, we were recognised as a Top 100 employer in Stonewall's Workplace Equality Index, a bench marking tool which assesses the LGBT credentials of organisations. In addition, we were shortlisted for the following awards:
· "Most Inclusive Firm" – Managing Partner's Forum, 2017
· "Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion" – The Law Society Awards, 2016
"We are proud to be a firm where driven, intelligent and engaging people from diverse backgrounds can enjoy themselves and be successful; working together with trust and respect in a collaborative and non-hierarchical environment. Our goal is to help one another realise our full potential and to offer everybody who works at the firm the opportunity to have a rewarding and fulfilling long term career." - David Patient, Managing Partner