Travers Smith is an award-winning, full-service law firm with a phenomenal reputation relative to its size. The firm excels in each of its practice areas and routinely wins headline-grabbing work from an enviable list of clients. Recognised as a Stonewall Top 100 employer, ranking 12th in 2020, we have a market leading Diversity and Inclusion Programme, with a strong commitment to LGBTQ+ inclusion.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential and to driving forward progress on diversity and inclusion within the business world more broadly and in wider society.
We have led a series of initiatives aimed at promoting LGBT+ inclusion at work and in the wider community. Some highlights include:
- Launching the fourth year of our innovative mentoring programme in partnership with Just Like Us, which is aimed at enabling students to enter the workplace as future LGBT+ leaders, who are confident in their identity and are openly LGBT+
- Championed the development of more LGBT+ inclusive workplace policies - most recently, leading a review of the firm's trans-inclusivity - and driving positive change for trans/non binary people (including a revised dress code)
- Rolled out a Rainbow Laces campaign to encourage people, both within and outside the firm, to 'lace up for equality' and signal their support for LGBT+ inclusion
- Provide significant pro bono legal advice for LGBT+ organisations, including Stonewall, Just Like Us and Series Q
- Running a series of awareness-raising events in collaboration with the firm's five network groups (LGBT+, Gender Balance, BAME, Disability and Faith) to promote greater inclusion on an intersectional basis
- Partner Daniel Gerring, Head of Pensions and Chair of the firm's LGBT+ Group, has been ranked in OUTstanding's worldwide 100 LGBTQ+ Executives List, placing in the top 25 internationally and the top 10 in the UK - and the highest-ranked lawyer in the world.
“People perform better when they can be themselves. Creating a workplace where LGBTQ+ people can be authentic and reach their full potential creates a more stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work. As well as being the right thing to do, it also enables us to be a more intelligent business and able to meet the diverse needs of our clients and communities. The LGBTQ+ Group, and our partner led D&I Board, have been at the forefront of a range of important initiatives both inside and outside the firm, and we have many exciting plans for the future. If you would like to be involved in any capacity, we would be delighted to hear from you.”
Daniel Gerring, Partner, Head of Pensions