We aspire to become one of the most inclusive employers in transport, with highly engaged colleagues who bring their best selves to work.
“Here at West Midlands Trains, diversity and inclusion is a way of everyday working life. Our workforce mirrors the diverse communities we serve up and down our network from London to Liverpool and everywhere in between. We have an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Strategy and an EDI Steering Group which has representatives from across the business. Our ‘Behaviour Matters’ campaign encourages all colleagues to treat each other with dignity and respect and to abide by the principles of Fairness, Respect, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. We also have a LGBT+ network group called ‘Aspect’ and they play an active part in our local communities taking part in Pride events and are great at organising social events enjoyed by many in the organisation.”
Vision and Values
Our vision is simple. “A real-life railway that’s easy to use, exceeding the expectations of our customers, colleagues and communities.” Everything we do centres around our values of Proud, Real, Open and Simple.
There are so many reasons to join our family. We are committed to improving our services, developing our people and providing opportunities for career development and progression.
We have an environment which is open, honest and fun to work in, and let’s not forget we offer flexible working, competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package.
- Free Travel for you, your partner and dependent children on all Abellio services including: WMR, LNR, Merseyrail, Greater Anglia and East Midlands Railway
- 75% discount on all other train travel over most of the UK rail network
- Development opportunities to help you further your career
- Opportunity to take part in salary sacrifice schemes including Smart pensions and cycle to work
- Discounts and offers at shops, gyms and attractions all over the country
West Midlands Trains is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in our workplace and ensuring everyone is treated equally, with fairness and respect.
We embrace diversity and inclusion to enable delivery of easier journeys every day. We aspire to become one of the most inclusive employers in transport, with highly engaged colleagues who bring their best selves to work. We aim to do so by:
- leveraging the capability of our people by broadening talent with a diverse range of people and skills, minimising ‘blind spots’ and driving better decision making through inclusion and innovation.
- better understanding, anticipating and meeting the needs of our customers, through a workforce reflective of the communities we serve.
Our EDI strategy is based on our vision, values and organisational goals and includes the following key areas:
- taking pride in ‘a railway for everyone’
- working in partnership
- recruiting and enabling talent
- reward, recognition and retention
We abide by the FREDIE principles of Fairness, Respect, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement and these link into our values of Proud, Real, Open and Simple.
We are working with the National Centre for Diversity and are Investors in Diversity, level 1 accredited. We are also Disability Confident Committed and currently hold the Investors in People Gold standard.
West Midlands Trains has an LGBT+ Group, Aspect. This West Midlands Trains diversity group has a key focus around the LGBTQ+ Community, providing a support network and a social network for anyone who wants to be part of the group. Aspect encourages an equal and diverse railway and arranges several social events for members including events that have taken place in Birmingham and Liverpool. In May 2019, West Midlands Trains proudly walked in the Birmingham Pride Parade along with the West Midlands Combined Authority. Benjamin Williams, Driver, is an active member of our LGBT+ network group Aspect and he believes that “At West Midlands Trains, there is a place for everyone’.