Job Summary: Ownership of the accurate and timely delivery of the long term plan (expenses) and expense analytics, including supporting the cost challenge process and business partnering model for the support functions. To conduct oneself in line with the core and partnership competencies as noted below
Long Term Plan (Expenses)
- Responsible for the delivery of the Long Term Plan and all associated requirements for the executive committee and boards in accordance with pre-approved timetables.
- To own the rollover / updating of all assumptions and inputs into the model and validation of those assumptions / inputs with the business to ensure a robust output.
- Partner business to ensure full alignment / reflection of business requirements & structure
- Appropriate controls & commentary to be provided around the model & output.
- Support the automation of the model as business owner to ensure it is a scalable platform that will deliver the required business insight in an efficient and effective manner moving forward.
Specific Business Partner activities: These will include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Business partner to the support functions delivering:
- Expense reporting and analysis
- Cost challenge delivery
- Forecast/Budget templates
- Cost saving initiatives
- Reviewing and ensuring delivery of expense MI to key stakeholders and working with them to provide suitable commentary and where appropriate approval in a timely and professional manner as suitable for the report type and audience
- Ad hoc requests from the business
- Support the KPI Reporting process (currently owned outside of Finance) and validate / peer review output and assumptions to ensure it adds value and informs logical conclusions.
- Support the expense allocation & trigger process helping the expense planning lead define and review the proposed allocation rules for the year ahead.
- Support the other Expense Analysts to ensure the accurate and timely delivery of the expense actuals, budget and forecast processes.
Expense Analytics & Strategic Projects
- To own and ensure delivery of Strategic projects as assigned, ensuring solution is fit for purpose and fully documented or embedded within the respective processes.
- Support & develop analytical review of the expense result on a quarterly basis, acting as a peer review to support overall expense deliverables.
- Support the SBF expense process and submission to Lloyd’s ensuring it accurately reflects expectations and group requirements / structure.
These are in addition to the Core Competencies:
- Knowledge of the insurance marketing and the accounting policies adopted
- Ability to understand technical underwriting transactions in order to produce meaningful commentary for the benefit of key stakeholders
- Ability to review existing models, processes and procedures and implement improvements to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the team
These are in addition to the Core Competencies:
- Strives to exceed the expectations of the client and actively seeks feedback
- Delivery of timely and accurate information to all stakeholders seeking to add value at every opportunity
- Is outward and customer focused
- Confident in own skills and contribution; challenges the client so to support the client in achieving their optimal results
- Strives to understand all dimensions of the client and their underlying business as it influences their results:
- Knowledge of the individuals within the teams including communication preferences
- Up to date knowledge of their market and their planned activities: including recent and upcoming product innovation and initiatives. Considers and addresses wider implications of these
- Understands and identifies all key drivers (systems and processes) behind the different views of reported (MI) results.
Core competencies in addition to those noted as specific to the Business Partner role which are considered to be pertinent to the Finance MI team are as follows:
- Analytical Thinking: Logical analytical approach to rapidly changing data and situations. Considers wider implications across functions and varying scenarios to Beazley.
- Professionalism: Consistently demonstrates integrity, is highly credible, respectful and trustworthy and represents Beazley Finance MI in a professional manner. Builds and maintains successful working relationships and is seen to go the extra mile
- Learning and development: Identifies strengths and weaknesses and seeks to improve performance. Recognises and takes responsibility for mistakes and learns from them. Continually seeks self development opportunities. Regularly engages in self-assessment and gives/receives feedback to enhance personal awareness
- Adaptability: Effectively manages changing priorities in a dynamic environment. Seeks training opportunities to understand new working methods. Proves resilient in uncertain and difficult situations and adapts approach/plans/style as required.
- Responsibility and Accountability: Assumes full responsibility for the consequences of own behaviour and decisions. Delivers on commitments to clients demonstrating reliability and dependability. Admits mistakes and takes responsibility for correcting them.
- Communicating Effectively: Timely communication of new information to relevant parties. Adapts communication style and form as appropriate to the audience and illustrates an understanding of their experience and needs. Conveys complex information clearly and concisely. Persuades through uncovering shared benefits and outcomes, looking for mutually satisfactory solutions.
- Demonstrating Teamwork: Seeks collaboration as appropriate and shares knowledge/best practise and helps others when asked. Acknowledges when other members of the team are under comparatively increased pressure and volunteers to support them while maintaining responsibility for own tasks. Teaches new team members and coaches others; identifies opportunities for collaboration (NB: definition of team is extended beyond Finance MI as appropriate).
- Innovative approach: Independently finds solutions to advanced problems and identifies potential barriers to solutions and provides alternatives. Challenges assumptions and “the way we have always done it”. Embraces change and communicates the benefits of change to others.
Integrity and Control
- Use business knowledge to identify potential errors with financial impact and take steps to prevent and/or correct such errors, highlighting where necessary to management.
- Act as a conduit between the Finance department and other departments in order to maintain financial data integrity.
- Produce and maintain procedures documentation for own tasks.
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
We are seeking a graduate who is an experienced qualified accountant. Strong analytical skills with an excellent working knowledge of Excel will be key (any Access experience would be helpful). Candidates need to have excellent communication skills and the ability to manage their own time, deadlines and priorities. We're looking for people from a deadline driven environment with knowledge of reconciliations and the ability to drill down into issues. Working knowledge of insurance or reinsurance (within the Lloyd's market) is preferred but not essential.